Are rest areas ok to detect?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Not sure but when you take a break and go do your business in the washroom, don't tap your feet. :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't see why they wouldn't be ok?

However, I'm sure if you asked long enough, and hard enough, of enough officials, using the right combination of buzzwords ("treasure", "dig", "take" "holes", "indian bone", etc....) then sure, you can always find someone to tell you no.

But probably like most all areas: so long as you're not a nuisance and sticking out like a sore thumb........ And like all areas of turf: md'ing carries "connotations" (that you might be about to leave holes). So I'd go at low traffic times, not when they're mowing/maintenance days are going on, etc...

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes it ok so go for it ...if some jurk says any thing tell him your resting...at nite people probable go to the bathroom in them .....and they don`t ask permission to crap there !!
Gary

Shiny_Jim

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Sonora, CA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro Gold,
Garrett Ace 350,
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one area that I have never thought of, I got a couple of them close to me might have to check it out.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old rest area site I was thinking the same thing about. It's where an old one stood 20 years ago. May have to stealth hunt it at night. Don't worry I'm not calling the DOT to ask permission. WTH do you think a bureaucrat behind a desk will say?

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That bureaucrat would say no, then call his buddy with a detector and say " Hey, I just thought of a good place to detect........"

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may be possible to find some clad around the picnic areas closest to the restrooms. If it is an old time roadside rest stop you may find some silver but most of them in my area been closed for years with the exception of the rest areas on the interstate. As far as the laws go you may want to check your states websites for state parks etc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Indian Bone?

That's absolutely right. The md'r might dig up an incidental indian bone, while digging a metal item. Thus ... oh me oh my, no you can't detect then. For that matter, SO TOO might you "dig up an indian bone" if you detect in modern sandoxes or so much as sneeze. Thus it's a good thing you asked, and we would prefer if you never md'd, or sneezed, or picked your nose (that offends people too).

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get one of those cheap reflective yellow vests and you will look like a highway dept.worker. No one will disturb you because you will look like a Government employee who is actually doing something! :icon_salut:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I don't think you will need a detector, probably most coins will be on top of the grass. Can be rewarding on clad coins and maybe a piece of jewelry. Take along one of those doggy bags, if anyone approach you tell them that you are picking up the crap and hand them the bag . At the beach ,I see people walking their dog's and a litter bag, then pick the crap up and throw the bag over the dunes.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A government employee doing something?

If you do this, I can guarantee you will end up spread eagle on the ground with Homeland Security agents pointing guns at your head because there is no way a government employee would be doing something! That would stick out like a sore thumb.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do this, I can guarantee you will end up spread eagle on the ground with Homeland Security agents pointing guns at your head because there is no way a government employee would be doing something! That would stick out like a sore thumb.

LOL... Hey Mr. Old Dude, us old dudes must think alike!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been told to stop detecting at rest areas been doin it for only a year but have hit quite,a few lots of people pass threw,I've seen state police pass me just don't be disrespectful & ull b fine

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have never been told to stop detecting at rest areas been doin it for only a year but have hit quite,a few lots of people pass threw,I've seen state police pass me just don't be disrespectful & ull b fine

Hey Christo000, your type answer, to questions like this you say, something along the lines of: "yeah it's no problem. my friends & I detect there all the time". Such has been the answer people on forums get, when they inquire ahead before they travel to another area.

And at first glance, that would appear to answer the question, right? In other words, if someone's getting ready to go some place, and poses that question, and if all the people in that locale say "yeah, we hunt that beach (or park or whatever) all the time", then that would seem to indicate to a reasonable person, that ... it must be ok. Lest why else would everyone be able to hunt there with no problems?

But no, it only means you didn't ask enough people, at enough desks, "can I?". For example, those very same state police who pass you by and don't care, perhaps if you went and asked them, they might have to look hither and yonder through their rule books, and find some reason to tell you "no" (d/t you might "alter" something, or that you might bother earthworms, or run afoul of the "taking" verbage, etc...). And even if an individual state police said "go ahead", yet perhaps another one in a different cruiser might say something different. So keep asking different ones till you get the "right" answer. Or go above their heads, to their supervisors in state capitol. Eventually you will find yourself a "no", and then you'll be glad you asked, right? (afterall, you "can't be too safe", eh?)

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'm saying is the rest areas in mass that I have been to no one has had an issue with detectors

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& I don't see why I would go plane out of my way to ask 50 people if I can detect at a rest area if its not up on the sign as you drive in as a rule that's not permitted then ill assume its ok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread