Are smaller Tesoro coils more chirpy in iron?

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a Tesoro brand 5 3/4 inch concentric coil for my Golden and it seems to hit on iron nails a lot more frequently than the stock 8x9 concentric coil. I usually run the discrimination at between iron and nickel and the 8x9 stock coil is very quiet but the smaller coil hits pretty hard on tack nails and larger nails that the stock coil ignores. I adjusted the ground balance with each coil but it didn't make the smaller coil quieter. Lowering the sensitivity from 8 to 5ish helps but I was wondering if the smaller coils are more noisy in nail beds than the larger coils?

I found a new Troy super 7 inch coil for a good price and should I expect it to be noisy in iron too, like the small coil I've been using?

Thanks for your help.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will have to adjust discrimination and sensitivity with smaller coils - it's the nature of the beast. You are asking the machine to be more precise, therefore your settings and EARS must be re-tuned with more attention. You'll get it! :occasion14:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes... what Terry said. The ground balance pot behind the face plate will need a slight adjustment, to reset the GB to the smaller coil. That ought to put things right again.

BTW, I own and use a Golden as well... really like the machine. I have used several different coils on it. My least favorite is the OOR 9 x 8 that it came with, and I did not find either the white or brown doughnut coils to be much different. The six inch concentric (5.75) is very nice and crisp and surprisingly almost as deep as the 8”. But my all-time favorite coil, the one going back on the golden this spring, is the 7” DD. With fresh batteries and low disc setting, you will hit a 7 inch nickel, 6” quarter, and 5” dime with this coil (some guys out their will claim greater depth, and it so happens there ARE some hot Goldens, but sadly mine is not one of them). I have occasionally, when ground conditions are right, hit a 6” dime and quarters even deeper than that, and the golden really likes the low conductors and finds nickels, perhaps gold, and especially aluminum tabs every bit as deep as 7 or 8 inches, even with the 7” DD coil.

I find the 7” DD to be very good at separation, and it seems to keep the four different tones a little more distinct from each other... at least to my ears. I have found the concentric coils seem to give more “mixed tone” signals than the DD. This is probably because of trash or multiple targets under the coil, and because of the shape of the detection field of a concentric coil, multiple targets are being detected and the detector gives out those mixed tone responses. In these situations, you can lift the coil a bit to hit the target with the narrow end of the “cone”, but on a 5 or 6” deep coin, you may loose the signal doing that. Not so with the 7” DD.

The advantage of the Golden is that the tone identifiers allow you to hunt with the disc set as low as you can stand it. In heavier iron trashy sites, it gets nerve racking and I have to turn the disc up to eliminate some of that, but once you start setting the disc any higher than above iron, you see the detection depth drop quite a bit.

Just some thoughts... hope they help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I did go on a purchase a new Troy shadow super 7 coil last weekend but I haven't used it yet.

I've had very good luck with the stock 9x8 coil and honestly, in terms of depth, I've been happy with the performance of both it and the 5.75 concentric coil. The smaller coil is noisier in nails though which is why I was wondering if that was normal?

One thing I've definitely learned is that Seattle is NOT the best place for Tesoro users. Rain. Rain. Rain. I have an AT Pro for rainy days but it's hard to go back to it after using the golden. It still amazes me that I've come to feel that way but it's true. I prefer the Tesoros.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Troy super 7 coil is great!!
Well assuming that the coil is still in working order.
I had to send mine in for rebuild/rewind to Troy specs and had my Deleon tuned to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions