Are these flakes pyrite or gold?

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was working a river today and found a highly concentrated area of what appears to be gold. After some research, I still wasn't able to determine if this is actually gold or pyrite (fools gold).

Any suggestions from the pros would be great.

The first photo is a collection of the flakes in a clear plastic cup from the top angle.

20170212_190818.jpg

20170212_163212.jpg

Upvote 1

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it smash flat with a hammer or does it explode into pieces , gold will smash , pyrite blows , lol

OP
OP
High Etiquette 009

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold does not smear , gold is solid , pyrite comes apart , pic looks not yellow enough , and wrong shine to it ,

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just block the light going to it, if it is still bright it's gold but if it goes dark not, winner58 is right, mica, at least on the first pic.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it smears into flakes it's def Mica

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was working a river today and found a highly concentrated area of what appears to be gold. After some research, I still wasn't able to determine if this is actually gold or pyrite (fools gold).

The first photo is a collection of the flakes in a clear plastic cup from the top angle.

Here is your photo of mica with some of my gold flakes inserted over it. The colors and textures are quite different. The tests others suggested above are good physical tested to differentiate the two.
Mica_vs_gold.jpg

If you have a magnifying loupe, you will see that mica has closely spaced flat planes that can be separated into thin "sheets." Close up image of gold flakes/nuggets will show pitting, folds, rounded shapes from the smoothing effects of being transported in a stream.
Au_CU_2-7-17.jpg

Last edited:

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the color is not yellow enough to be gold. As others have said it looks like mica.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's mica. Gold is golden in the light. So is mica. Put it in the shade and gold stays golden. And like the others said, gold doesn't smear, but mica does.

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says you are from Charlotte? I am in Gastonia. Which river were you in? I have a creek behind my house and the south fork in front. I am always looking for a new spot.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As others have said, and from personal experience, mica gets the heart pumpin' when you're just starting to chase the gold, but it breaks up easily and floats off easily in little bits and pieces once you break it up as well.

It's good you asked your question, as it's a puzzler when you first find it. I think everyone that was just starting out has run into it in their pan and questioned what it really was.

All the best,

Lanny

lawrencesal

Greenie
Nov 7, 2023

View attachment 1414158

View attachment 1414162
Hi, it is very confusing when you're out there and you see it up close, but i wanted to also share what i found in a small bag of play sand, not sure either if it is mica, or gold any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20231114_142733.jpg
    20231114_142733.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 31

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, it is very confusing when you're out there and you see it up close, but i wanted to also share what i found in a small bag of play sand, not sure either if it is mica, or gold any help would be appreciated
Try smashing with a small hammer. If it flattens out likely gold. If it shatters likely mica or fools gold. Hard to tell in the photo.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi, did hammer test , i hit very hard twice, first time stuck to hammer just flat second time just flat so it is pretty good sign of gold
Congratulations you can add this to your gold vile jar now and tell everyone you found some nice gold flakes.

Gold can be hammered out very thin as in leaf gold etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread