Shipwrecks

Attachments

• finds 011.jpg
    finds 011.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I agree, they look modern to me also. I dont like the bowl on the secound one at all. John

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real pipes - just not real old.

I have to agree about the one on the right - too 'modern manufacture' looking.

B

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
There is a good chance that they're authentic, maybe not as old as you may hope though. The catlinite elbow pipe is pretty typical and it's not uncommon for them to be scratch engraved, like that one. I've become infatuated with catlinite lately. A high percentage of the catlinite pipes were made in the resevervation period, some later, some earlier, and were handed down(spending no time in the ground). Your piece looks like it wasn't finished, but doesn't scare me as a reproduction. It was probably made during the 1900's, but so were "Ishi" points. The other looks like a vase pipe. I can't tell alot from the image you've provided, but there's a chance that it's the real deal also. Would love to see them in hand to determine more..but as I said, nothing about the pics frighten me. So if you're gonna throw them away, throw them my way! lol. :D

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
Not sure about the left one but the one on the right looks like a starter blank You can check out the starter kit bowls at a company I was going to get one it's called "Crazy Crow". It looks like real pipe stone ans with a file and a rasp you could make it into a cool pipe unless that is how you found it then I say leave it the way you found it.
Respects and links below,
Coalfire

(BTW to monitors: I am only passing on info, I don't have any financial benefits from this company. I just want to pass on a cool Native American craft site!)

Here is the "Crazy Crow" Company Link
http://www.crazycrow.com

Here is the blank Pipe Link
http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/...201&Category_Code=833-000-000&Product_Count=9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread