are these quartz?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...looks like chalcedony nodules, or microcrystaline quartz. Very hard and dense form of quartz.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rarely, though it depends on the geology. Gold, and other metals are usually found in rotten, soft, rusty-colored quartz. The metals are deposited by water, and that rotten quartz is a good channel for water. Also, there's usually iron where gold is found, and some of that material of yours looks rusty. All that said, that chalcedony of yours was also deposited, or formed, by water, so there could be some metal mineralization in the area. It's doubtful you'd find gold in that chalcedony itself. But, it's a good idea, for me, not to make absolute statements...in geology anything is possible.
Jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chalcedony for sure :) Never found gold associated with it however but it is a good indicator of hydrothermal events so other interesting specimen's maybe found. Keep an eye out for that material with dark banding as some can have fire agate in them. I know one area in AZ that has chalcedony roses all over the place and also produces fire agate.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be. Rotting quartz is a term used to describe quartz outcroppings that are breaking apart because other minerals in them are deteriorating causing the quartz to break up and take on a broken and deteriorated appearance. Usually the term is applied to highly mineralized quartz outcrops that are associated with potential ore bodies. But the term can be used most anywhere. Pieces of material that break away from the primary deposit are called float and with a bit of work can be traced back to the originating deposit. Float can be formed by the rotting, deterioration of other minerals in the deposit, of the primary deposit or by simple erosion of the deposit.

If you can find the origin of that piece you may find signs of other minerals. The reds lead me to believe there may be pyrites present.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RockAli

May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for explaining that for me. I really appreciate how informative your responses are.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DD is right, its usually pretty brittle and breaks up easily. Sometimes its very rusty, to.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread