Are these the same type of tool, but different sizes?

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
My first post, other than on the introduction forum.

Are these the same type of tool in different sizes? All were found along creeks in North Texas. The left one in the first image was found in a creek in southern Denton County. I have shown this one to some experts who said it does looked worked, but could not determine what type of tool it was.

20230406_223120.jpg

The largest one and smallest one(shown at the bottom of the second photo) were found in a creek about 13 miles away in northern Dallas County just a few feet apart from each other. In both creeks, I have found several scrapers, spokeshaves, points, and blades.
20230406_215358.jpg

First one to the left of the first photo.
20230406_215503.jpg

Largest one
20230406_215522.jpg

The smaller one. Looks serrated.
20230406_215625.jpg

20230406_215631.jpg

They just look similar to me, and leave me wondering if they are a certain type of tool. I don't know what that would be. For all I know they are just cool rocks. However, if they are artifacts, does anyone know what they are and what they might have been used for?

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 2

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Might be preforms. Could be the maker was aiming for a certain type of point and those didn’t work for them and moved on to another piece to try again.

OP
OP
T

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
Might be preforms. Could be the maker was aiming for a certain type of point and those didn’t work for them and moved on to another piece to try again.
This is my thought, too. The pictures are a little off, but when held in the hand the largest and medium sized ones look intentionally worked to that shape, but unfinished. I am wondering if it is possible to determine what the tools were supposed to be. If they are worked, I doubt it was the same person, so I am curious if it they looked like a common design of something.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
This is my thought, too. The pictures are a little off, but when held in the hand the largest and medium sized ones look intentionally worked to that shape, but unfinished. I am wondering if it is possible to determine what the tools were supposed to be. If they are worked, I doubt it was the same person, so I am curious if it they looked like a common design of something.
That would be a hard guess maybe a type of tool cause I don’t see any resemblance to a point

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread