Are you interested in buried treasure?

M. A. Nazario

Jun 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suwarrow is a true “treasure island” with a long and documented history of buried loot. In 1855, a chest of 15,000 dollars worth of Spanish coins was discovered by the salvager Livingston Evans, acting on instructions he had mysteriously received from Tahiti. Three years later, the old adventurer Tom Charlton, carrying 3,000 dollars worth of gold coins, was clubbed to death on the island, although he buried his money on the island before his demise. In 1868, trader Lance Barnett bought a map and a story from a drunken beachcomber, which led to his discovery of 2,400 dollars of Spanish and British coins buried in a chest, the result of some dastardly crime. And in 1876, while trying to escape a naval bombardment, Henry Mair discovered a chest as it was being exposed by a burrowing sea turtle. It was full of gold jewelry and coins; Mair pocketed some of the choicest treasures and buried the rest, although he died before he could retrieve the contents of his cache.

Suwarrow Gold by James Cowan (1936) describes true instances of buried treasure, piracy, blackbirding, and other adventures in the Pacific that occurred during his lifetime (1870-1943). I'm looking to republish it and I wanted to gauge TreasureNet's interest. Would you be interested in such a book?
thumbnail_Suarrow Island image.jpg

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
rrogon,
You might find this interesting.
Don in SoCal

OP
OP
M. A. Nazario

M. A. Nazario

Jun 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rrogon,
You might find this interesting.
Don in SoCal
Thank you Mackaydon. Mair's story is indeed found in Suwarrow Gold; Suwarrow has even more treasure stories than mentioned on this forum, including a few still buried in the sands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread