Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Noticed the high cost of nuts lately? The biggest increase has been for pecans. The Chinese have discovered they love pecan pie! As China gets richer they buy more of our food which drives our prices higher (supply and demand). Our government is now teaching the Chinese how to grow pecans in their own country. So in 10 to 20 years pecans should be dirt cheap. Meanwhile expect to pay 2 to 4 times what you paid for any type of nut a few years ago.

So appreciate those chocolate covered nuts and cans of nuts you receive this Christmas.

:thumbsup: :coffee2:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Are You Thankful for Your Nuts?

That's no lie, the prices here are sky high. 5+ almost 6 bucks for 16 oz of walnuts.

Pecans thankfully I can get for free at the park, the trees just drop them and a walk with a shopping bag
gives me more then enough for my pies :thumbsup:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pistachios....I look at em in the store and gawk like everyone else over the rediculus price for 10ozs....like 8 bucks. Crazy!
And coffee jumping 5 bucks a can recently...what's up with that? :coffee2: >:(

Al

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Badger, I reckon our gummbmint is doing the same with nuts as they did with shrimp several years ago when the furriners were taught to grow pond-rasied shrimp. Now our markets are flooded with an inferior product (the shrimp), filled with growth hormones and antibiotics. The shrimp are NOT harvested until they began to die off. That's what you get in the grocery store (unless your purchase US wild caught shrimp, which you're gonna pay a premium for). As for nuts, I'm lucky enough to have three pecan trees, so I can get 3-5 gallons in the fall if I can keep the squirrels shot outta them. Coffee... gesch... I reckon it's production and transportation costs, but it hurts to pay $10 plus for a can. I try to catch or grow everything I can, but coffee ain't one of those I can do, and I GOTTA have it in the morning.
Robin

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have pecans by the bucketloads here....that is my front end loader bucket.

everyone in my area has pecan trees. you see everyone picking them also :laughing9:

pistachios are delish. bought a bag the other day, cost very high, taste great. not all the time, as a treat I love them. I love walnuts and yes, they are high too :( we can grow in the general area but I don't have a walnut tree.

eat local. what nuts are grown locally? if you eat local you PAY WAY less.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

CaptainRobin said:
Hey Badger, I reckon our gummbmint is doing the same with nuts as they did with shrimp several years ago when the furriners were taught to grow pond-rasied shrimp. Now our markets are flooded with an inferior product (the shrimp), filled with growth hormones and antibiotics. The shrimp are NOT harvested until they began to die off. That's what you get in the grocery store (unless your purchase US wild caught shrimp, which you're gonna pay a premium for). As for nuts, I'm lucky enough to have three pecan trees, so I can get 3-5 gallons in the fall if I can keep the squirrels shot outta them. Coffee... gesch... I reckon it's production and transportation costs, but it hurts to pay $10 plus for a can. I try to catch or grow everything I can, but coffee ain't one of those I can do, and I GOTTA have it in the morning.
Robin

I recall reading about the Chinese shrimp back years ago. How many are spoiled before reaching this country. They're soaked in some chemical to kill bacteria, the stench, and to naturalize the flavor. People wonder why they feel funny after a big meal of shrimp at China 1 or wherever.

A big problem we have as a country is we want everything dirt cheap. This greed has ruined our quality U.S. suppliers. The Wall Street lords, etc., have seen to it that the country continues on this insane course. Oh well, best I not get off on this subject.

For coffee try Beaumont brand sold at ALDI grocery stores. It's like $5 for a big can and I think it's the best coffee out there. I have a friend down in Detroit who brings me a few cans when he visits. I've tried everything from the mega expensive to the nasty cheap stuff at Save-A-Lot. For a strong but mild coffee it rules.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
CaptainRobin said:
Robin

I recall reading about the Chinese shrimp back years ago. How many are spoiled before reaching this country. They're soaked in some chemical to kill bacteria, the stench, and to naturalize the flavor. People wonder why they feel funny after a big meal of shrimp at China 1 or wherever.

A big problem we have as a country is we want everything dirt cheap. This greed has ruined our quality U.S. suppliers. The Wall Street lords, etc., have seen to it that the country continues on this insane course. Oh well, best I not get off on this subject.

For coffee try Beaumont brand sold at ALDI grocery stores. It's like $5 for a big can and I think it's the best coffee out there. I have a friend down in Detroit who brings me a few cans when he visits. I've tried everything from the mega expensive to the nasty cheap stuff at Save-A-Lot. For a strong but mild coffee it rules.

Have to agree, the ALDI Beaumont brand is great and cheap, been using it for a couple years now.
They also have a "donut store" blend that is priced good and is an excellent blend for a change of pace
or a special morning like going fishing or dirt hunting. :wink:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I just bought bag of pistachio's at my local Sam's club, 3 lbs. bag for 14.97. still high but not real bad

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm thankful for my nuts (both kinds)... picked up about a gallon yesterday. I have to get them each day or the deer and coons will take them overnight. 'Course I'll take Bambi on occasion if he's in the yard. I like to eat venision, but don't care to go hunting. It's just so much more easy to take 'em off the front porch.

I'm jealous, Farmerchick. Inland we have a lot of pecan producers, acres and acres of trees, even aquainted with a guy that has a production facility where they produce shelled nuts and quality candy. However, here along the coast and across deep south GA most trees are gone. Paper companys bought up most of the land 40-50 years ago, cut everything down, and planted pines. My three trees are only 6-8 inches in diameter, but I try to keep the twig girddlers poisoned, and throw the 10-10-10 to them, in addition to a lil' zinc. They actually made a bit this year. Thrilled me...

Shrimp... if'n you can't get it fresh off'n the coast of GA, it ain't worth a flip. Gulf shrimp have too much iodine in my opinion. I won't even order it at a restaurant. Catch my own, or buy it from a local fisherman. That garbage in the grocery stores that's imported ain't worth eating. In Europe, those imports are BANNED... Customs seize the entire container and destroy both the contents and container. Too many toxins, growth hormones, antibiotics in the product. If shrimp smell like most people associate shrimp and smell, they are pink before cooking, they've already "turned", and ain't worth eating. I know just a lil' bit about shrimp... was a commercial fisherman for a few years... a "shrimper".

Coffee... on my third mug this AM... ain't got that chain of stores down heah, never heard of the brand. Usually do Folger's Special Dark, on occasion splurge sometimes on unground beans, but goodgodalmighty, it's getting expensive. Used to drink a couple of pots a day when I was on Active Duty, but have cut back to only about three mugs in the morning. Makes me shake too much...

Squirrel heading towards the pecan trees... can you say "Shotgun"? Gotta go.
Robin

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Jeep said:
Have to agree, the ALDI Beaumont brand is great and cheap, been using it for a couple years now.
They also have a "donut store" blend that is priced good and is an excellent blend for a change of pace
or a special morning like going fishing or dirt hunting. :wink:

Thanks for the info on the donut blend. :thumbsup: I'll check into that.

Badger

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepskyal said:
Pistachios....I look at em in the store and gawk like everyone else over the rediculus price for 10ozs....like 8 bucks. Crazy!
And coffee jumping 5 bucks a can recently...what's up with that? :coffee2: >:(

Al

Pistachios were always pricey. When I was last in Greece, pistachios, olives, and Feta cheese were dirt cheap. I did manage to smuggle several pounds of pistachios when I returned home, all for a few dollars in Greek money...

Personally I like the small bags of Planters Nuts.. They fit easily up your sleeve when out shopping :laughing7:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

When I was a kid fresh cooked nuts were sold in many stores. Today one has to go to high priced specialty shops to even find them. But my last attempt at this yielded stale nuts that had been laying in the bin for too long. During my teens years (1960's) I worked for a WT Grants store and we cooked nuts several times a day.

I sure miss those bags of hot nuts.

F

Felinepeachy

I've always been a big fan of nuts. I especially like walnuts because I use them in so many recipes around the holidays. To me they have always been pricey. More so here in Kentucky than they were out in California. Of course, you all know California has an abundant supply of nuts.
tease.gif

S

stefen

Felinepeachy said:
I've always been a big fan of nuts. I especially like walnuts because I use them in so many recipes around the holidays. To me they have always been pricey. More so here in Kentucky than they were out in California. Of course, you all know California has an abundant supply of nuts.
tease.gif

Try driving Interstate 5 thru Central Valley and you may drive for a 100 or so miles of Pecan Groves planted to the horizon (or more)...

The balance of the state is also full of nuts including Gov Jerry Clown.

F

Felinepeachy

stefen said:
The balance of the state is also full of nuts including Gov Jerry Clown.

Exactly why we left. :laughing9:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Speaking of nut's (come to Wisconsin we have more nut's running around here then in Frisco) :laughing9: Anyway if we have no inflation are you sure the price's are high?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Every state, city, and town, has more than it's share of nuts. How do you think _______ got to be president?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread