Are you throwing half of your gold away?

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on t-net in awhile, but I found something interesting to pass along. About six months ago I bought a used drywasher from a local, retiring miner. Today I got to cleaning it up. I'm going to put a new fabric screen on it so I took it apart. There was about a pan of dried dust in the bellows box. I panned the dirt and found a piece of gold just big enough to see clearly against the black sand. Having a stereo microscope I thought I'd take a look at the "chunk". Was I surprised! In the black sand I found enough micro-gold to say there was, maybe, 25% that would have been tossed out with the sand. I hope my picture turns out with this post. The big piece is what I saw in my pan. More than two dozen more pieces were too small to see without magnification. The end of a stick pin is for comparison. Maybe this micro-gold if what is sought after when miners save their black sand. Oops, maybe I'm giving away the secret of the black sands. I for one am going to keep my black sand from now on to process separately. TimC

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    747.9 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 2

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing your post this reminds me where it seems like I saw something where someone claimed to refine gold and black sand together and the gold would separate from the sand. If this was practical and possible it would definitely save on some time.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the black sand has loose gold, but too small to see. Maybe a blue bowl would help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread