Arizona Flash Floods

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why you don't prospect during Monsoon Season! Praying for all my friends and family members in Zona!

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hangin out at Miners Creek in Wickenburg this morning,watched a 2' wall of water come under the bridge in the Hassayampa River.Can only guess what box canyon looks like.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the streets were running like a river in north phoenix this morning.

i was at 51st and olive at about 6am.there was a 55 gallon trash can floating around the intersection.

there are water rescues happening now in new river.

it might be good nugget hunting for awhile, im going to try to get out next weekend, after the water goes down.
i see a few good spots got hit hard with flooding and things are moving.

here is a web site with rain fall totals. http://alert.fcd.maricopa.gov/alert/Rain/htmlprec.txt

not sure if the totals are up to date right now as the news was saying some of these areas got 3 to 4 inches in an hour or two.

stay safe.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We barely got anything on Deervalley. It was weird hearing 100 weather alerts go off on everyone's phones. The mountains to the east were gorgeous after the dark passed. A white cloud condensed like a snowline as I returned from lunch. I couldn't get a shot from the second story, a warehouse was blocking it.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monsoon is one of the more nervous times of year for prospecting. Does not look like anyone got caught with their pans or detectors in the water though. A good thing. (nods*)

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a perfect example of flash flooding here in Arizona. Watch as the water rises and the speed of the water. Phoenix got hit hard but we here in southern Arizona got these storms as well. Water was rampant in our areas as well. The video on the right was Tucson 8 years ago. This is the Rillito wash of which is dry 340 days of the year, but here in this video the water is about 7 feet deep 200 to 300 feet across. During this flood I saw a guy in a kayak on this water. What a fking nut case.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Great proof of why I preach about not prospecting during the monsoons! I don't care how good a swimmer you THINK you are... You ain't going to swim in that! It may not be raining where you're at, but those washes can go for miles and miles. A nasty storm 20 miles away can flood you out very quickly!

Another reason not to be prospecting during the monsoons is the lightning! A report on the Tucson news told of a single cell near the Three Corners area giving off over 1,000 bolts/strikes in a 15 minute period! The Greaterville area gets tons of lightning as well. No gold is worth getting turned into a lightning rod!

The same storm that nailed Phoenix on Sunday hit here at the house as well. We had water running off the roof in a solid sheet. I had to call some of my friends in California so they could hear how it was coming down. THey've been so water starved for so long now, most of them were cursing me for being such a tease!

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great proof of why I preach about not prospecting during the monsoons! I don't care how good a swimmer you THINK you are... You ain't going to swim in that! It may not be raining where you're at, but those washes can go for miles and miles. A nasty storm 20 miles away can flood you out very quickly!

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep seen that and posted that video in a thread a few months ago. Amazing what happens 40 miles away and how quickly it can reach you.

I was up near Prescott today, after getting chased out by the rain on Rose creek, we stopped by Dewey and drove thru the Aqua Fria on main street at that time it was flowing over the road by about 6", 10 mins later we came back and it was at least 2 feet above the road and a raging torrent, it can get real intense very quick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread