Arizona

day dreamer

Aug 13, 2005
Florence S.C.
Going to Arizona first week in Sept. would like to try finding a nugget or speck of gold while out there. Will be in Casa Grande Arizona. I have a whites MXT.This will be my first time trying to find gold with a metal detector,probably want get another chance. So any sugestions to were to go for a day close to Casa Grande would be appriciated.Then i can say ,i tryed it once. LOL :)

Upvote 0

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
day dreamer, you might want to check out one of the AZ gold forums.....azoutback.com or nuggetshooter.com or nuggethunting.com and ask around there. They're some pretty friendly folks and very knowledgeable about AZ gold.

Also, you may want to check with GPAA and see if they have any sites around where you're going to be.

Hope this helps and HH!
Kajun

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Day Dreamer

I was in AZ in 2003 and I checked before go there to all site that TXKajun posted here.
"azoutback.com or nuggetshooter.com or nuggethunting.com"
all them, at the end, those guys want you finish buying a $3500.00 MD because the say there is no other MD can detect in AZ with all mineralization and find nuggets.

I was there trying detecting and find nuggets,it was a waste time, old garbage in everywhere. May be you could find some gold but it's your personal chance.I wouldn't spend $3500. MD just to find $0.50 nuggets.

Good Luck
Amona

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amona HIho this is the result of 2 hrs work last weekend in 115* f. weather sheehs. Viva Mexico hehe.
Garrett ADS 7's

Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• gold and a silver crystal.jpg
    gold and a silver crystal.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 873

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
Hei ''Compadre' 'Manito' '(RealdeTayopa)
If those pieces of gold can pay you your travel expense,....Good for You!!,....for me,... It was wasted time in 2003. I find the same and more gold in rings, etc.to 15 min. from My house in the beach of West palm beach and I don't have to pay some fee to use it.Beside you don't tell me anything.If you read 'Real English'(not span-glish) you will see that I posted means "don't invest in $3500. MD to find $0.50 nuggets.

all them, at the end, those guys want you finish buying a $3500.00 MD because the say there is no other MD can detect in AZ with all mineralization and find nuggets.

I was there trying detecting and find nuggets,it was a waste time, old garbage in everywhere. May be you could find some gold but it's your personal chance.I wouldn't spend $3500. MD just to find $0.50 nuggets

Here I show you a gold ring I found in 30 min detecting on the beach - Jupiter inlet, Florida

Mexico " :P ",...!!

Amona

Attachments

• SAM.JPG
    SAM.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 850

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
You know I really don't disagree with any of the posts here. I use a PI (GS5) for gold hunting(not in AZ).

For just passing thru AZ buying ANY detector for one outing or two just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Day dreamer should ask folks on those forums do they have a claim he could detect on( hopefully MXT can
handle the mineralization at that location) for a day or two. I remember Bill Southern(owner) on nuggetshooter
has directed some newbies to some areas. If that fails there is some literature out there on where to go. I think
Bill has some in his shop. Welgus has some locations in his books.

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/Store/NuggetShooters1.html

If you want to spend a bit more money join the GPAA or a local club(RoadRunner?)

Regarding buying a PI for nugget hunting in AZ. Well I would only buy one if you lived in AZ and were serious and went out every weekend would be my advise.
Yes the PIs handle the mineralization (GPs and SDs) better than VLFs and they are of course much deeper. There are a lot of areas
where you simply can't use a VLF.
However as they don't have reliable iron ID it is a dig it all situation which works well in virgin desert areas with no trash but not
effective in high trash areas. Yes ALL the serious nugget hunters in AZ use Minelab PIs. Those who started out with VLFs quickly changed over to PIs. You don't need to spend $3500 to get started as buying used PIs from folks who gave it up is the way to go. Finding a good used $1600 PI would be the way to go for a newbie that just moved to AZ.

Understand the strengths and weakness of the MXT. Just look at Alaska. The MXT is king at Ganes Creek. The Minelab PIs are king at Moore Creek. Why? Canes Creek is loaded with iron and the MXT can ID iron (Steve's MXT gold nugget VDI secrets on the Alaska gold forum). Whereas Moore Creek has little iron and is suitable for PIs.

Amona- I understand your views. The sites listed above aren't really generic nugget hunting sites but AZ Minelab PI sites. So if you drop in you will have to listen to the AZ Minelab viewpoint. Dropping in with a MXT, an Infinium or in my case a GS5 you will receive some grief from some Minelab worshipporters and yes they are going to tell you to buy Minelab PIs. Probably more gold has been found with VLFs but still there isn't a central website for VLF nugget hunters.

My attitude for gold hunting is the same for coin/relic hunting. I am not here to pay off my detector just have fun. After many decades of coin and relic hunting I wanted a new challenge in gold hunting when I moved west. My coin and gold detectors are not investments- just play toys. If I find something of value- it is a bonus. Use what you can afford and enjoy yourself. My free time is rare and valuable and like golfers or fisherman I will pay what it takes to have fun in my limited time off. If you are not enjoying yourself nuggetshooting regardless of the cost of your equipment- give it up and go beach hunting or bass fishing. Judging from the amount of used Minelab PIs I see in Ebay all the time apparently a lot of people have indeed given it up. Certainly no where near as easy as the Minelab ads suggest. If it was so easy half the residents in Az would be nugget hunting. Expect to get skulked- but be delighted to find something is my viewpoint.

George

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?? What happened to my post to Amona?? As I mentioned, it cost 1 gallon of deisel and the site is free to anyone.

Another nearby field yielded 1/2 of a 5 kilo, piece of gold, where the bulldozer was constructing a road through the area, go look for the other half. free to detect on.

Up at Tayopa, which I own with some 3500 acres, there are Au, Ag, and Pt.specimans. I have yet to detect for nuggets up there, too many other things to do.

Incidentally I agree on the mine lab. these were found with two older Garrett ADS-7 detectors, prob worth under $ 100 US dollars.

Tropical Tramp

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
RealdeTayopa

Read very well my post. I don't argue that anybody "CAN NOT" find nugget. I didn't say it, but cool for you if you find nuggets there, I prefer to find old spanish coins, gold rings and watch "girls" in the beach because in the dessert,....no girls to watch!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Amona RealdeTayopa

I prefer to watch "girls" in the beach because in the dessert,....no girls to watch!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :D (edited)
Unfair! Foul! Course I must admit they are much nicer to watch than my mule's posterior section.

EL slightly tarnished Tropical Tamp

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
Hey Realde,

I cannot agree with you 100%.

There have been a few cases that I have observed, where I would rather watch the posterior section of your mule. ::)

Bob T.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Colorado Bob
I cannot agree with you 100%.
There have been a few cases that I have observed, where I would rather watch the posterior section of your mule. ::)
Bob T.

Hi bob, I agree, hehe, of course it goes the other way around, no gals? no

Tropical Tramp

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
day dreamer said:
Going to Arizona first week in Sept. would like to try finding a nugget or speck of gold while out there. Will be in Casa Grande Arizona. I have a whites MXT.This will be my first time trying to find gold with a metal detector,probably want get another chance. So any sugestions to were to go for a day close to Casa Grande would be appriciated.Then i can say ,i tryed it once. LOL :)
I live in Az I would wait a month or two we are having 115+ Days Buck

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
Hey Little Cowboy(Buck)

GREAT stay there in palm beach with your floods hurricanes no one here in arizona will miss you as we say WELCOME TO AZ NOW GO HOME

We can have Flood,Hurricane,rains but "also" We have beach,girls, good jobs,and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
to get back in less a week if a Hurricane hit this city.It's better you stay there in AZ and also participate in other forum (arizonabackpack) with Mr. Montana,Chris and all Minelab's little cowboy.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
Buck
yea I don't think that I would want a "beach girl" I like women better like I said WECOME TO ARIZONA NOW GO HOME Puffy-Buffy now there a real girls "Man Bye bye BUFFY-PUFFY

1. I'm here, Palm beach, not in the middle of no where(arizona,) so don't waste you time saying 'bye-bye'. by the way, I'll keep posting here Tr's net, like it or not.

2. I don't care whatever you want
3. learn better English, you don't write WECOME, you write "WELCOME",
4. If you're one of those one that the ICE agent is seeking to send it back to mexico,....watch!!! it's better you do it by yourself,....from arizona to mexico there is no much miles to drive, maybe you come across with the Minuteman in the Border. :o :o :o

Amona

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: sheesh, I like gals, gold, guns, mules, Treasures, Mexico, the US, in fact life itself, so why the err ah disagreement?

If everyone wanted my wife or my purty mule, where would l or the others be? hehehehehehh

Seriously guys, never get upset on somethng of which you had nothing to do with the making of, just be accountable for you personal doings.

Tropical Tramp

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well this is fun..

Anyone who says we don't have girls has never been around ASU :o

L

lrsafari

I'm new here, but not to Arizona....

If you want to see beautiful women......go to Scottsdale Fashion Square. Very dangerous when the weather is warm and the tank tops are out.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread