Army dog tags

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
I live in south eastern oregon and in the area I live in used to be used for a ww2 training site. I was detecting the other day, and dug up a locker key and a pair of dog tags in like new condition. They were from ww2. I am now in the process of trying to locate the person whos name appears on the dog tags,or his surviving relatives so I might have a chance to return them after all these years.

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
three ways to go. You could try the army locator service which is run by the army, switchboard.com for phone listings and familysearch.org to access the social security death records. If he's not listed there he's still alive. Those guys are at least 77 now. If you were 18 in 1945 you would be 77. 18 in 1941 you would be 81. exanimo, ss

Duggan

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2004
Where bouts in SE Oregon. I hunt around Lakeview and have some pretty good stuff. Despite what folks say, there is still some good things around some of those ol sheepherder shacks. Nice work on recovery and good luck with a successful return
Duggan

OP
OP
E

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Duggan, I live 16 miles east of Christmas Valley and not too far beyond the radar site. My property sits on the old site of an old ghost town that was here at the turn of 1900 called Buffalo. Now they call it buffalo wells. Let me know some of the good stuff you find at the old shacks. I'm trying to find some information on the old stage stops in Lake county but not having much luck. Like to find some information on old stage coach robberies here in lake county also, but not much info around that I can find. Thanks Earl

Duggan

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2004
Earl,

I am very familiar with Buffalo wells.? I spent about 6 years fighting fire at the Fort Rock guard station.? There are some good ol homesteads out that direction.? I remember bumpin around some of those old roads and finding the foundation holes for some of the old sites.? If I remember right, there is a couple of sites on the back side of the lost forest along the BLM road. Kinda toward Chicago Valley.? Anyway, a friend of mine has come up with several old coins as well as ol settler tokens.? I myself am into ol whisky bottles and cavalry artifacts from the indian wars.? I have attached some of the stuff we come up with.

OP
OP
E

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Hey guys, I found the step daughter of the guy who lost the dog tags. The ww2 vet is long since past on but his brother is still alive. Talked to the step daughter and she was elated that I had taken the time to look them up. She stated that her step dad was a decorated hero and had earned many medals in ww2. I told her I will be sending the things off in the mail asap. I hope to get a chance to chat with her more and learn more of her step dad and his war experiences. so there is a GOD afterall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread