cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all depends where you live and the local laws.
also depends on the local cops, even if it is a small infraction. (called officer discretion)

use common sense when diving.
don't break into any locked dumpsters
don't make a mess

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I would also add a suggestion. Throw a bunch of empty boxes in your car. If someone is raising hell, say you are just collecting boxes for a move and show them the ones in your car.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the business who owns the dumpster takes offence at your activities they can call the cops for trespass. If the dumpster is in a locked location or posted it'd be best to either avoid it or ask the owners if you can rummage. Keep it clean and no one generally cares but if asked to leave do so.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All dumpsters are not equal... But a good rule of thumb is to dive feet first!:laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many valuable treasures have been found in dumpsters. I think most here find adventure in just hunting for that treasure in any place. Anytime you enter private property uninvited your by all accounts trespassing. Be a good steward about it, picking up around the site even if it's not your mess. Reading the other replies here have some great advice. Your other problems can be diving in what other divers deem their turf. So don't be jumpin anyones dumpster claims. It's highly competitive in some areas of the country and you could get your ass kicked.

Attachments

• trailer-park-shirt.jpg
    trailer-park-shirt.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Like Dan said, it depends on your state and location.

In Indiana, state law reads that the trash is owned by the person throwing it out or by the garbage company that is picking it up.

I don't dumpster dive, but from what I've heard, the police, around here, are taking issue with many of those who are caught diving, but again, this is a YMMV.

I have a friend that works at a local business. They would have cared less about people diving, but the scrappers found it, and were leaving unbelievable messes. They were emptying the entire dumpster, and cutting bags open on the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread