Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in the field now and spotted this on the ground. Looks to be Quartz.

Need to know if it's truly a point or not as it's the 1st I've ever found.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20231201_100812.jpg
IMG_20231201_100800.jpg

Upvote 12
OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks a million guys. Was on the slope of a cellar hole.

Can tell me more about it, as well as it's age?

I'm up in the NW corner of CT right now in Warren.

So stoked!!!

Last edited:

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
It is used but going by the stem it could be one of these 2 types. I’m not familiar with the points from your area. We do have one person from your area that comes by once in a while his name is Charl

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Charl for your input as well as the link.

This is now my oldest find, lol.

If only it could talk and tell me it's stories.

Here are some better pictures of it. What cought my eye was how bright it was on the ground and then I saw the shape and said could this be my 1st point??

I'm so stoked on finding it after it was lost to the ages.

It sure is thick and I wonder how long the shaft was to get it to balance properly so it could fly somewhat straight.
IMG_20231202_093903.jpg
IMG_20231202_093821.jpg
IMG_20231202_093704.jpg
IMG_20231202_093651.jpg
IMG_20231202_093634.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh I thought all points were arrow heads.
If you want to learn more about the “family” of New England points referred to as “small stem points”, this essay, “Rethinking Small Stem Points” by the late Jeff Boudreau, who published the most recent and best typology guide of projectile points from southern New England, will be helpful.

The fact is many of these small stem points, which include Lamoka, were not used as projectiles. Usage wear on the tips indicate they were used in graving, scoring, boring, and cutting activities. Of course, your tip is missing, so we can’t know, but, in general, many of the small stem quartz forms were used for other purposes than as projectiles..

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In researching online it seems these were also used as atlatl dart points.

That being said would mine be a dart point a knife or some other sort of hand tool?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool point Rog! any luck at the cellar aside from this? We hit so many holes in Warren. Merry Christmas to you and the family!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one other thing about your point, it was made of quartz and is a very hard rock to work with. Notice how poorly flaked and formed it is. Necessity chose that rock, not choice! I can see the native gritting his teeth and growling as he formed it!

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one other thing about your point, it was made of quartz and is a very hard rock to work with. Notice how poorly flaked and formed it is. Necessity chose that rock, not choice! I can see the native gritting his teeth and growling as he formed it!
Well they did a far better job than I could lol.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A quartz pebble industry developed in New England, sometime during the Archaic Era. Because the region was once glaciated, and because quartz is abundant here, glacial cobbles/pebbles are common everywhere. Hence, hunters could always find quartz cobbles, and would no longer depend on returning to quarry sites/quartz ledges, when running low on toolstone. And that allowed them to range further afield, knowing they could always find quartz cobbles. And quartz was by far the lithic most often used where all the “small stem” varieties of points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread