Arrow heads -- Archaic or Modern? Experts apply within. :)

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was torn on where to post this, figured this was the best stop...

What do you fine folks think about the look of these points? I recently 'caught the fever', which includes hunting and also procuring them when I can't pass up a price... Such as with these. Do they look authentic? Some of them look fairly crude. Picked these up here in Maryland at a sale, some of them look like local finds, others I'm not very familiar with... The quartz points look like the usual Maryland points I find from time to time.

Any insights on this grouping would be very much appreciated from this newbie!

HH!
Brad

Attachments

• points 1.JPG
    points 1.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Points2.JPG
    Points2.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of them look real, but without closeups, its hard top tell. It could be a mix or authentic an reproduction pieces.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be able to click the photos, then click them again to expand them on your screen which might help. (or maybe you already did this and they still aren't close enough to tell)

Thanks KF

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They really should be photographed individually from multiple angles to get the best info. But that said, most of the field grade point are almost certainly authentic. Some of the ones in the top frame may be reproductions, but also could just as easily be authentic. Its tough to tell from photographs.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the ones with the notched bases look exactly like the reproductions all over ebay, the other quartz points that are crude(ish) are most likely authentic, JMHO

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from what I can see and this is JMO from a photo. top frame, going left to right and these are the ones that look like repros. Top row #4 &#5, 2nd row #1,#3, #6. 3rd row #4,#6. Bears teeth look fairly new. 2nd frame 1st row #5, 3rd row #1, #4. Without looking at them close up this is the best I can see, when the Reaper comes around he will tell you and he pretty good with just a photo. If you didn't pay a whole lot you more than likely did good, but I would have some one check them all. You don't want to get repros mixed in with your real stuff. One thing I do, if I buy anything I keep it in another case from the ones I find. Some of those are nice points thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mix of a lot of repros and possible good ones. With that many repros in there I would be afraid of all of them though.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the last three posts. No need for closeups, most of the first frame and at least three or more from the second frame are obvious reproductions. The typical ebay specials from India. The usual giveaway is the material, most of that stuff cant even be found on this continent. Take all the funny looking Dovetail , corner notched things out, keep the rest and take them to the next local artifact show and have someone check them out. Might be a frame of keepers there. Good luck.

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
all replies right,i wouldn't be able to tell unless i held 1 in my hand.some of them don't look like the styles that u would normally find in this part of the country.a lot of them look like flint & i've never found a flint point or scraper in the md,va,nc area.........not to say aren't any.fakes are pretty easy to identify(in hand).....it's an acquired eye.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What does it really matter. If the "experts" don't know then just hang them on your wall and enjoy them. If you ever sell them to a collector, then you'll find out. Nice purchase...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread