Arrowhead and fossil??

Good luck jack

Greenie
Jan 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All! Iā€™m new to this site and new to finding arrowheads. Over the weekend, I searched for some arrowheads and I ā€œthinkā€ I found one but Iā€™m not sure. Could this be my first arrowhead? If so, anyway to know how old it is? It looks like the point broke off. I found it along a creek in South Jersey where Indians use to be. I also found this black looking tooth?? Any ideas? Thanks everyone!! 53643E06-C075-4953-A94D-7E60BC24FC91.jpeg 0DC7B2A9-3EC5-4CFC-8770-C6E334D7BF20.jpeg 33167B30-CBC7-48EE-BE4B-397E0B2C6BD2.jpeg 5BD8467F-5DD0-4794-ABB6-52DA7D876819.jpeg 54442D45-0DE4-42D3-97FF-52079BD903C7.jpeg 7BBFA9B3-7FE8-46CD-8324-1DD9847A7226.jpeg 64F0C294-6AE3-4798-B826-7463E85EFD90.jpeg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking, that the patina needs to be cleaned off of it. Looks more like the tip of a point or something than a tooth.

Thinking same thing I think 1st pic is natural rock with a lot of erosion has a similar base to a triangle style arrowhead but the flat spot makes me think natural. The second pic looks more like it can you post more pics of the flat spot where it looks snapped

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to tnet!

I don't believe you have any Indian artifacts shown. Your last piece in question is an arrowhead shaped rock and not a true arrowhead. The base section is also to thick and wide. But I suggest that not give up in your search for Indian artifacts. I would sincerely suggest that research for possible areas in your areas to search. ''Good Luck''
P,S. I do not recognize any item as a fossil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Good luck jack

Greenie
Jan 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to tnet!

I don't believe you have any Indian artifacts shown. Your last piece in question is an arrowhead shaped rock and not a true arrowhead. The base section is also to thick and wide. But I suggest that not give up in your search for Indian artifacts. I would sincerely suggest that research for possible areas in your areas to search. ''Good Luck''
P,S. I do not recognize any item as a fossil.

Darn! I really thought the first item was an arrowhead. Thank you for the information! Iā€™ll definitely keep looking. Here are more pictures of the second item. Thanks everyone! EFA15891-2536-4C5D-B48B-B4B52E54A106.jpeg A287B4D9-A40E-4BF1-A940-64E3C59F0D1F.jpeg 6B7EFE59-BB8C-4201-8107-9ADEC0A7EF30.jpeg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, the first piece, the triangle piece, is definetly Lockatong Argillite. It outcrops in NJ and Pa. Of all the lower quality lithics found in the Northeast, none, and I mean none, weather worse then Lockatong. Even Woodland Era points will often display little to no flaking scars visible. Not sure why Lockatong is like that but it must be the worst quality lithic in the Northeast. For some reason, up here in New England, the culture that made Fox Creek points actually imported the stuff.

In any case, your triangular rock looks exactly how Lockatong looks when it weathers, and those smoothed out lines look like what flaking scars look like on weathered away Lockatong. IMHO, it resembles a weathered and broken triangle made of Lockatong. JMO, I realize most may disagree, but I deal with it frequently where I hunt. Look how weathered away this Lance made of Lockatong Argillite is:

IMG_9482.JPG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was on the run when I posted the previous comment, and will take the time to post what I know.

1. I fully understand why someone would conclude the trianguloid piece is only a rock, and of course I respect that opinion.

2. I recognize Lockatong Argillite when I see it, and the piece in question is Lockatong. Does not mean it's an artifact, but it is Lockatong, sourced in NJ and Pa.

3. Lockatong is a widespread regional lithic in the Northeast. The lance I posted earlier is actually from Va, so it was exported to the Mid Atlantic as well. In New England, it was a preferred lithic during the Middle Woodland Fox Creek Phase. Since it had to be exported to reach southern New England, there must have been a cultural reason that it was preferred, since far better lithics were easily available.

4. Simply from my own experience, the piece in question might have been a triangle that was salvaged as a perforator or drill before the tip broke. To my eyes, being used to Lockatong, it seems entirely possible. It looks like a piece that might show water wear as well, although no water needed for Lockatong to show severe weathering.

5. Of course I could be wrong, but I hope the examples shown will at least demonstrate why what I am suggesting is possible. I hope the OP has found his first point afterall. God knows why they used Lockatong, but I guess it worked fine during the actual lifetime of a tool's usage.

The photos below show color range as well as severity of weathering. When I found the piece in hand, a Fox Creek Stemmed, my wife said "what, you're desperate now? That's not a point!!" Eventually, she came around. I think, lol...

IMG_9486.JPG

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the run when I posted the previous comment, and will take the time to post what I know.

1. I fully understand why someone would conclude the trianguloid piece is only a rock, and of course I respect that opinion.

2. I recognize Lockatong Argillite when I see it, and the piece in question is Lockatong. Does not mean it's an artifact, but it is Lockatong, sourced in NJ and Pa.

3. Lockatong is a widespread regional lithic in the Northeast. The lance I posted earlier is actually from Va, so it was exported to the Mid Atlantic as well. In New England, it was a preferred lithic during the Middle Woodland Fox Creek Phase. Since it had to be exported to reach southern New England, there must have been a cultural reason that it was preferred, since far better lithics were easily available.

4. Simply from my own experience, the piece in question might have been a triangle that was salvaged as a perforator or drill before the tip broke. To my eyes, being used to Lockatong, it seems entirely possible. It looks like a piece that might show water wear as well, although no water needed for Lockatong to show severe weathering.

5. Of course I could be wrong, but I hope the examples shown will at least demonstrate why what I am suggesting is possible. I hope the OP has found his first point afterall. God knows why they used Lockatong, but I guess it worked fine during the actual lifetime of a tool's usage.

The photos below show color range as well as severity of weathering. When I found the piece in hand, a Fox Creek Stemmed, my wife said "what, you're desperate now? That's not a point!!" Eventually, she came around. I think, lol...

View attachment 1540821

View attachment 1540822

View attachment 1540823

That's odd they would import that stuff for knapping. It would be nice to know the reason why...

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you ''Charl'' and I may be wrong in my assumption of ''Good luck Jacks'' item in question. I know from experience how easily it is with rocks like basalt and slate weather smooth while exposed in water. My previous post was based on the shape and width of the piece at the base end. I was looking for some faint flaking along the edge.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first reaction was the second piece was worked and weathered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread