ARRRRRGGGH - STUPID ALUMINUM

B

BIG61AL

DOES ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? I AM CONSTANTLY GETTING GOOD COIN SIGNALS ON MY WHITES PRIZM AT 0-2 INCHES ONLY TO FIND IT IS ACTUALLY A POP CAN OR CHUNK OF A POP CAN AT 4-6 INCHES. I MUST HAVE GOTTEN WELL OVER 50 OF THOSE SIGNALS IN JUST ONE SOCCOR FIELD ALONE. I WAS TO THE POINT THAT I MADE A SLICE IN THE GRASS AND STUCK IN THE PIN POINTER AND IF DIDN'T SIGNAL METAL WITHIN TWO INCHES THAT WAS IT, CLOSE UP THE HOLE AND ON TO THE NEXT TARGET. I WAS NOT HAVING FUN. I RATHER FIND NOTHING THEN DIG UP THAT STUPID ALUMINUM.
AL

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was the ground wet? Aluminum can give good signals when the moisture improves their signal characteristics.

HH!
TBGO

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
been there just recently big61al....had a great dime signal at 4 inches and it was roofing flashing at 8...bigger objects mess with the detector a bit, but don;t worry, the coins will start coming soon. And if for nothing else at least you got that junk metal outta the way so it can't mess you up anymore.

Good luck.

Funkman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes It is a Common Thing, for Large aluminum to Show up as
coins. there is no exact Cure.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Canslaw just comes with the territory when it comes to detecting fields and parks. Bummer you got into a bunch of it... If its an OLD field, maybe some good finds underneath and worth digging up- you never know how many detectorists before you have given up in disgust! Patience can be a virtue. Then again, if its a fairly new field, I'd probably just move on to better areas-

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

I REMOVE EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF TRASH I FIND UNLESS IT'S A WHOLE CAN BURIED DEEP. I CAN'T TELL HOW MANY TIMES I'VE FIND SOMEONE ELSE HOLE AND THEY LEFT THE PULL TAB OR CAN PIECE SITTING RIGHT THERE.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I dig aluminum small and large. It just comes with the hobby. But you never know when there is a valuable coin sitting just under that piece of aluminum that people just kept passing up all those years. I hope you scan the hole after removing the junk! HH Cal

G

Ground Squirrel

My XLT does this too. A quick-fix is to re-scan the target with the coil high above the ground. If the targer dig-depth is less than the distance between the coil and the ground, it's a damned can.

GS

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! They're a headache! >:(

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The only ways around the stinkin ALUMINUM are:

1) change sites

2) use a very sensitive TID machine

I can usually tell Aluminum from coin signals by the readings I get with my Tesoro DeLeon's TID. I'm sure other brands are also able to do this but the Tesoro is the one I currently use.

Anyway, the DeLeon gives very precise digital number readouts (patterns) for all targets. And too, the sound of aluminum differs from that of silver. Unfortunately it's very similar to copper.

With a Tesoro, silver has a very obvious sweet smooth sound one can hardly miss. Aluminum, on the other hand, offers a blunt and somewhat harsh signal.

This and the TID readout patterns ID aluminum FOR ME 50-80% of the time. The size of the aluminum piece makes a BIG difference. Pulltabs and beaver tails are usually easy to distinguish. Deep pop cans are the most difficult but they can be distinguished by patterns, sound, and target size.

Badger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canslaw gives me a problem sometimes, but a whole can gives an overload signal on my Garrett GTI 2500. Or, I can tell it's a can by the size of the target. Now if I am hunting artifacts and don't have iron discriminated out, I have problems with old rusted pipes, big rusty nails and etc. Six of one, half dozen of the other! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread