Arsenopyrite?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked up a pyrite sample. The sample is a greenish/yellow metalic color. All the iron pyrite I have seen has looked brassy to bronze in color. The field guide picture that most matches the sample is arsenopyrite. I'm thinking of having it analized at the university geology department.

Just wondering as I got this out of a childrens pan for gold kit that was made in China. If this is arsenopyrite sombody's got some splaining to do!

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't worry China won't sell you anything dangerous. It's probably just colored melamine. :laughing7:

Seriously though unless you allow your children to play with strong acids or open roasting fires of 1139 degrees Fahrenheit or more they are safe.

That arsenic is really tightly bound with the iron and sulfur and is going to require more energy to release than you would ever allow your children near.

Heavy Pans

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought 2 Chinese made 6" plastic pans from a dealer on eBay, with my 5 year old granddaughter in mind. They have a warning label on the bottom saying the material was a carcinogenic. Go figure!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Careful

Sometimes there is gold in that arsenial material

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20150128_214813.jpg
    20150128_214813.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 74

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in the Colorado Mineral Belt, there is a few percent gold in the crystal matrix of most pyrite...it substitutes at the atom by atom level for other more reactive metals like iron. A few years ago i took a sample of pyrite from Trail Creek near Idaho Springs CO into a university lab and confirmed the presence of gold by using a scanning electron microscope. A fun exercise even though the gold amounts are too small to be worth trying to separate from the pyrite. I think I'll let Mother Nature do that the traditional way (weather and time).

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Here in the Colorado Mineral Belt, there is a few percent gold in the crystal matrix of most pyrite...it substitutes at the atom by atom level for other more reactive metals like iron. A few years ago i took a sample of pyrite from Trail Creek near Idaho Springs CO into a university lab and confirmed the presence of gold by using a scanning electron microscope. A fun exercise even though the gold amounts are too small to be worth trying to separate from the pyrite. I think I'll let Mother Nature do that the traditional way (weather and time).

Yep Kevin you are correct about gold in pyrite here in Colorado. From one area I had some pyrite which reached the front line of a wave table(highest specific gravity material like gold form on the front line). It did not look like typical pyrite- more golden yellow and no crystals. I had some of it assayed. It ran about 1 ounce gold to the ton.
However, locked up in pyrite- means roasting and leaching (besides concentrating the pyrite) meant that it still was unproductive.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions