Artemis Site-You Go Girl

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, this isnt coming from experience, Its just a thought. What i like the most is the person set back in the cut out. Nice and protected for many more years to come. And i like the shape of the cut out, it reminds me of the shape around the symbols in your other photo. It it the persons name? View attachment 1497803 View attachment 1497805

Look at the flat rock on the ground right beside the pillar on the Aphrodite Site pic I sent, Dog. :icon_thumright:

:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yes, the Athena site is where the snake is. But there is a huge owl as well, I had mistaken it for a bearded mans face....but when I made the connection to Athena, I realized it was an owl.....

View attachment 1497734

The other site ( Aphrodite ) has a smaller owl etched into the rock just to the right of the " Face ", and directly behind the...um...pillar.....( a side note, the face itself could be an owl, but had no way to hang out in thin air to get a frontal shot, its a drop off. Can't find any other spot with a frontal view that isn't obscured by surrounding foliage, sigh ).

View attachment 1497735

And, of course, the Artemis owl ......

View attachment 1497736

Again, excuse the crappy zoom pics, but you have the better pics I sent you to look at for reference.

:coffee2:

I really like this site. An owl in each corner along with other important stuff. What was it that drew your attention to this place?

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like this site. An owl in each corner along with other important stuff. What was it that drew your attention to this place?

Local lore, and a story about a sacred place in the mountains that no one is allowed to visit. There's a cave not too far from there that has some strange tales attached as well. All in all it was mostly the native folklore that drew me.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dit. Is this site setup with the Athena corner pointing north?

The Athena site is the 90° corner, with the line running between it and the Artemis site running east and west, the line running from Athena to Aphrodite is running north and south.

Artemis' Owl is looking west at Athena, Athena Owl is looking south at Aphrodite, Aphrodite Owl is looking northeasterly at Artemis.

Edited to add note: Traveling from the waterway we spoke of privately, the Aphrodite site would be the first site you come to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The Athena site is the 90° corner, with the line running between it and the Artemis site running east and west, the line running from Athena to Aphrodite is running north and south.

Artemis' Owl is looking west at Athena, Athena Owl is looking south at Aphrodite, Aphrodite Owl is looking northeasterly at Artemis.

Edited to add note: Traveling from the waterway we spoke of privately, the Aphrodite site would be the first site you come to.

Here's something you might try. Find a sun calculator, online, and plot from the Aphrodite spot to the Artemis site and see if those two spots line up with the rising Sun on the summer solstice.

Is the east to west line exact or is the Athena corner a little more to the north?

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's something you might try. Find a sun calculator, online, and plot from the Aphrodite spot to the Artemis site and see if those two spots line up with the rising Sun on the summer solstice.

Is the east to west line exact or is the Athena corner a little more to the north?

I didn't take compass readings while there, Mdog, but I will when I go back to do the measuring. My statements above are just general ballpark. But I will plot as you suggest when I do the hard measurements. Thank you for mentioning that!

Here are a few shots of interest in the surrounding area. I did think to look for a hoyo, or viewing device, but haven't found one yet. Doesn't mean there isn't one. And the pillar may have some significance as a viewpoint or pointer in itself. Should turn up in the plotting if so. Gonna use some topo maps and plot that whole quad while I'm at it.

And if any of you have some research regarding the symbolism/use of a pillar/column/obelisk in a site, please share. I've a feeling this one is of some importance to the whole setup there.

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming guys... :icon_thumright:

turtle.JPG

Pointer.JPG

Hidden Face.JPG

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam going to send you a photo Ditlihi of what i was talking about.Your just too, High. LOL.:icon_thumleft:

Gotta love them high places! Lol

Thanks, Dog, looking forward to it!

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Yes, it doesn't surprise me that the Aphrodite site was the first site you ran into. You mentioned a pillar at that place. Kinda like a "Welcome home...Happy to see you" sign. :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I forgot that there is a carved snake right next to a 30 foot owl, where I'm at. That would be like the owl and snake at your Athena site, but mine isn't by a spring.

20151029_210849.jpg

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it doesn't surprise me that the Aphrodite site was the first site you ran into. You mentioned a pillar at that place. Kinda like a "Welcome home...Happy to see you" sign. :laughing7:

Um...yeah...Very happy to see me, lol. :laughing7: :tongue3:

And thank you for all the links!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Your welcome for the links. When you get back to this place, you might want to walk the lines and look for more signs. On the setup here, there is a heart shaped boulder on the sw to ne line. Also, I don't know if you pack in a metal detector, if you do, you might want to check at the bottom of the pillar for any metal fragments from damaged tools. Even if there aren't any chipped stones. If the site was sacred, the chips would have been gathered and scattered, so there would be no signs of activity.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread