Arti or geo?

SwampCreek

Nov 12, 2010
Hello all. Wondering if any of you folks have an opinion on this tool/rock I found in my yard. I found it buried about a foot and a half down as I was digging a hole to plant a bush. It seemed a bit out of place as none of the other rocks I dug up were rounded like this, and it seems to fit so well in my hand.
CIMG1147.jpg

Here are a few more pics which hopefully will give some more information.

CIMG1143.jpg
CIMG1144.jpg
CIMG1145.jpg

What has me thinking that this might be an artifact is that it was found in fairly close proximity to the broken point in this last pic. Thanks for looking!
CIMG1149.jpg

Upvote 0

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only way to tell is set your plow down a foot and say byby to mowing grass, lol. looks to be a hammerstone, any polished areas, if not still a hammer just wondering

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many natural rocks fit well in your hand so that's no criteria. But if there's no other stones like it at the same depth, and since you did find a point nearby, could be a hammerstone. It would have made a good hammerstone, and yeah, I would be plowing deep in that spot. Hope you find more!

OP
OP
S

SwampCreek

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies! I agree that fitting well in my hand isn't really a criteria other than classifying it into a reasonable size for something that *could* be used as a tool. I think I'll have to do a little more exploring in my backyard! ;D

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
It could very well be a artifact since you found that broken point close by something must be around there :wink:. This could give you the excuse to dig up the back yard to take a look around :-\ :dontknow: and when you're finished you could alway's put down new sod :wink:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread