sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the more compact examples were used on atlatls, not to aid in throwing, but to counter the weight of the spear out front as the hunter sat motionless for long periods of time as he waited for the right shot. The larger, more elaborate ones were, in my opinion, also used on atlatls but on those "presentation grade" examples given to important people in the tribe, and never intended for actual use. My analogy is a Springfield Armory 1911 that you tote around on the ranch every day, and the engraved and gold inlaid Colt 1911 that is kept in its velvet-lined walnut box and that will never see a round pass through the bore.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well ,sense this is just a discussion and im not arguing , but it looks like adding weight to the leverage would defeat all purpose of using the leverage ,the longer the leverage the longer the throw and power, adding weight would hinder the user . if this method did work why would it be used only in one time period? going by the law of physics it would just make it harder on the hunter using it ,trying to get weight up to speed. and why are so few ever found ,when thousands of other hunting related artifacts are found. makes me think these banner stone/ atlatil weights were used for more special purposes just saying.

Last edited:

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are amazing artifacts, I have been fortunate enough to find part of one, still very proud to hold it, such artistry! JuneBanner5.jpg

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting article. I also just read The Archaic Bannerstone : Its Chronological History and Purpose from 6000 B.C. to 1000 B.C by Lutz, and in reference to my artifact, he states,

“The Shield-Shaped is one of the several bannerstone types found exclusively in the Eastern US.”

He refers to the “solid stick method” — his photo shows a bannerstone with a small diameter hole, much smaller than the 'normal' diameter; apparently small hole was drilled first, then a larger diameter hole; and he shows a “bannerstone fragment” - his photo shows 1.5 inch piece / polished both ends where it broke off

Also, from A PRELIMINARY REPORT ON THE SO-CALLED "BANNERSTONES, BY JOHN LEONARD BAER American Anthropologist, New Series, Vol. 23, No. 4.1921. "Many perfect bannerstones have been found in graves, but for every perfect one picked up about abandoned camp sites, a dozen broken ones have been found. Many of those broken in prehistoric times have been drilled at right angles to the original perforation as if intended to be worn as pendants. Bannerstones were so cherished and considered of such importance that scarcely ever was a broken piece discarded by the fortunate possessor. Possibly they were carried in the medicine bag as "good medicine.”

I will try to post a photo of my artifact in the next post - pics have been unreliable to me on this forum - but I am feeling better about calling my artifact a piece of broken bannerstone, Shield-shaped, solid stick drilled, and polished to be worn as a pendant.

Could be all wrong...but I know it is a cool object. :)

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a piece of a broken bannerstone I found in a field. I'm not sure if it came before or after it was broke, but the divot looks intentional on the one side, being the edges are fairly smoothed down. There are some light engravings on the same side as the divot that seems to over lap the engravings, so possible it was used as a fire starter or something after it was broke? Only example I have, from cayuga county NY.

You can see the light engravings around 1 o'clock (triple diagonal lines)
banner2.jpg

banner1.jpg banner3.jpg banner5.jpg banner4.jpg

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been fortunate enough to have found several, and this article is the closest description that I can wrap my head around. They are of such different sizes and shapes that it would seem likely that each atlatl would have to fit the thrower, much like a gun today. A balancing weight was probably crude originally, then became more ornate over time. In any case, they are awesome artifacts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread