Article on some Spanish markers (not treasure)

JJRyan

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and Lonestar bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg Is this a Spanish marker

OP
OP
B

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
No idea if that is Spanish or not. I just realized last night that I have a very good friend who is 100% Basque by lineage. Do the research on them. His grandfather was very old school. He has an uncle that has kept their family history. I asked him about several markers and right off the cuff he was able to explain the importance of the markers as a means to navigating and caring for livestock. He right off told me he's seen his families tree carvings dating back to mid 1800's. He explained to me about orientation of markers to indicate distance and direction to water, feed and many things. He explained to me how to make the tree carvings is a technique to ensure they stand the test of time. He's personally not versed on treasure signs but in tune with how to read direction, water etc from markers as a way of navigation.

Many details, no doubt about treasure being out there but most of us are chasing sheep trails.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea if that is Spanish or not. I just realized last night that I have a very good friend who is 100% Basque by lineage. Do the research on them. His grandfather was very old school. He has an uncle that has kept their family history. I asked him about several markers and right off the cuff he was able to explain the importance of the markers as a means to navigating and caring for livestock. He right off told me he's seen his families tree carvings dating back to mid 1800's. He explained to me about orientation of markers to indicate distance and direction to water, feed and many things. He explained to me how to make the tree carvings is a technique to ensure they stand the test of time. He's personally not versed on treasure signs but in tune with how to read direction, water etc from markers as a way of navigation.

Many details, no doubt about treasure being out there but most of us are chasing sheep trails.

Your doing good bjgiff, keep at it. Its good to see your not getting in the trap of the Spanish did it all, and its all about treasure. I think if you keep at it you will realize, your gonna have to do it on your own,with the stuff you have learned from being out in the field.Keep at it,good luck.

JJRyan

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and Lonestar bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I searched in, my uncle told me there was a old indian back in the 80's that would go up that mountain everyday looking for 7 mule loads of gold bars, supposedly buried to fund another civil war, the Indians dad knew where it was, its on the same mountain I found that rock on, thats why I was alittle curious as to what the symbols meant. This is in Montgomery County Arkansas.

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I searched in, my uncle told me there was a old indian back in the 80's that would go up that mountain everyday looking for 7 mule loads of gold bars, supposedly buried to fund another civil war, the Indians dad knew where it was, its on the same mountain I found that rock on, thats why I was alittle curious as to what the symbols meant. This is in Montgomery County Arkansas.

Your small triangle looks a little out of place.
It looks like it was chiseled out, maybe?
Have you plotted a few compass points off of it?
-Weekender

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may chime in.

Good day to all you fellow Thunters!

Your marker has the three essential elements of free masonry trail marker towards a gold cache. A Face, an "X", A heart and a shaft symbol. All required for following a trail. Go towards the direction you view it from not the pointing direction of the head. "X" Doesn't always mean to the left it can mean straight ahead if it has a head involved. Viewing angles are directional keep going around the head towards the view and look for the next rock outcrop. Only change direction when a bird is showing.

Two cents.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed also look for a triangle shaped trail pointers, maybe two, as the face has three but it looks upward so you may be looking up a hill, cliff or mountain. The pointers will be at ground level barely visible above the grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread