Artifact Maybe?? (Help ID)

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so this one was an odd find... I was at my parents house helping get their Christmas decorations up. I was in the front yard, and looked down and found this in the river rocks... If it wasn't for the lines, I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but once I picked it up, it kinda of looked like it was some type of reddish-clay. My dad has some pottery (mostly from Florida), and he and I agreed it was too thick. So I'm hoping one of the experts out there can tell me what I have... Some ancient artifact that got smoothed out in the river, a rock with weird natural lines, or a rock someone cut groves in...

Sadly I don't have the set up to get some real good close up shots of it, but here is what I can get.

IMG_20141204_104238.jpg IMG_20141204_104244.jpg IMG_20141204_104253.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not pottery.
It's a very old and weathered cobblestone

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking natural cobble also but the lines are interesting.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean cobblestone used in building

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking more on the line of a sinew stone...

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I searched for Indian artifacts long before I began metal detecting.. I'm pretty sure that it's pottery, but maybe marked later. The cuts are too sharp to be as old as the shard. I have found plenty of thick pottery. As a rule the thicker it is, the closer it is to the bottom of the bowl or pot. But the marks add some interest. Nice find.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Looks like a piece of shell tempered pottery, take a knife point and dig out one of the white flakes if it is shell that`s a good bet for pottery.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh.. I have some I'll post later

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a good possibility it's tempered with shell but not by Native Americans.
If it helps you out do an internet search of native american pottery from your area see how different it is

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it's native pottery. But, if it's tempered with shell, it's manufactured and not a stone, no? When
I hear cobblestone, I think of cobblestone streets, which are actual stones. Many American colonial towns still have cobblestone streets preserved. My question would be is this material a form of concrete?? It doesn't look like stone, more brick-like. I think it's more akin to a type of brick....

BTW, I can see why someone might say sinew stone, but it's not......

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thinking it is a piece of tile/brick/flowerpot type of post colonial pottery as well. Not a natural stone or prehistoric pottery. JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread