Artifact or Natural: tough call!

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This piece was included in a box of authentic artifacts with Canadian Borden Number references printed on each. Associated paperwork in the box indicates the dig was University sponsored and took place in late 1950's. The site was designated as "BiGa " which I believe puts it in Ontario, just north of Michigan state. The archeologist obviously thought the piece was an artifact because he labled it and framed it.

I'm just not convinced: Am I really seeing individual peck marks - 'dimple shapes in the rock' - or just the natural textture of this rock? Yes, the blade end sure seems very symmetrical. I currently have this item in my 'it's probably a natural rock' pile, but the fact that a pro archeology labled it with a Borden Number and framed it has me re-thinking my thinking.

Opinions welcomed! And thank you

Attachments

• blade 1.jpg
    blade 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 53
  • blade 2.jpg
    blade 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 58
  • blade 3.jpg
    blade 3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 58
  • blade 4.jpg
    blade 4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 58
  • blade 5.jpg
    blade 5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 5

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural to me, if it was a hoe with much use there should be some kind of polish or surface wear on bit, and the surface texture looks uniform over entire piece.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The bit has a Adze shape on it but of course it could of been found in a campsite and never been completed. I found a Celt preform and every time I pick it up I always say all it needed was a bit then set it back down.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bit has a Adze shape on it but of course it could of been found in a campsite and never been completed. I found a Celt preform and every time I pick it up I always say all it needed was a bit then set it back down.
On the 20+ years I walked the creeks, streams and fields in Missouri I found many rocks that were in the general shape of celts, and adzes, but were natural.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfinished Celt. The whole thing has been completely pecked. I’ve made artifacts by pecking and there is no doubt in my mind. This is an axe I was pecking when I hit a crack and stopped working on it. The arkie that labeled the OPs rock it was spot on. View attachment 2113810
That surface sure is interesting. Looks a whole lot like mine; different from what I had expected based on other hardstone artifacts I had see. Thanks for the photo and insight.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7088.jpeg
IMG_7087.jpeg

Posted these earlier but got moved.If someone posted these pieces from the book of a famous archaeologist they would be ridiculed.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be one you'd have to be there when it was found. It does go to the context in which it was found, the culture in that area and what type of tools they used, and I would look at whether the material was native to that area or brought in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread