Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used for shaping & smoothing a,rrow shafts.
No it wasn't. It was presented as 'fits perfectly in the hand', and someone posted it, and I found it for sale on a website, where it was presented as 'fits perfectly in the left hand, maybe Indian brass knuckles.' I was just wondering if the person who posted it had bought it, and if they got some info with it about where it was found, maybe what else it was found in relation too.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I've seen that piece posted for sale also. I may be wrong but I think it was on a site called iceageartifacts. Not 100% sure. What do you think it is RGINN? I'm not sure it is an artifact.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen that piece posted for sale also. I may be wrong but I think it was on a site called iceageartifacts. Not 100% sure. What do you think it is RGINN? I'm not sure it is an artifact.

Right you are. It's down aways on this page:

Indian stone war hammers, axe, celt and tool sale

I used google's "search by image" feature(not to be confused with image search), and found it. First time that actually worked....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 97

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iceageartifacts is one strange website anyway. I did not even know they sold artifacts. Never got past their page of ridiculous "effigies" before. Feel sorry for whoever bought into that tale.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their spirit animals and ice age animal pages destroy all chance of credibility for me personally, and who ever paid $485 for it, I have thousands of such finds if interested, just give me a week to fly to Missouri and start picking up rocks in the creeks....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that one was posted on here and somebody called fossil on it. 485 dang Id be rich with buyers like that. I got a whole tub of brokes I can sell that are real broken artifacts

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
That website is to blame for some of my first post here on t-net. I hunted points for years before I ever studied them. I didn't get far into my study at all before I ran across that site. Looking at their prices made me scared to leave any rocks behind. They had me for a while. I noticed their inventory didn't sell fast. That, along with you guys got me back in line.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have some rock things that fit in your hand. I know they are not anything but dang they sure do fit ! I remember seeing that piece posted here....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks are so gullible the will believe anything. If someone buys that they need to be committed for observation....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can start with the fact that the rock was once part of a geological formation. Sedimentary in nature, meaning laid down in annual layers before becoming rock. Some layers were softer then others. These photos give you an idea of how the rock in this thread ended up looking like it does. It's a result of what's called differential weathering. The softer layers simply erode more in the wind, as seen in the features seen below. The rock in this thread is just a fragment of a layered formation of sedimentary rock that underwent differential weathering via wind erosion. So this is one possibility to explain why it looks the way it does. The sculpting seen was not produced by human hands.

http://space.io9.com/this-is-the-slowest-and-most-destructive-process-on-ear-1646507947

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha! Seen that sight myself in the past, the " Paleo Art " section is a real piece of comedy. Makes one wonder how naive people can become.
My own thoughts were that the site host offers so called "artifacts" for ???$'s or best offer and then sells the item for a much lower price, but just marks the item "sold" in order to create the notion that they were purchased at the asked price. Regardless the whole words a stage and there are way too many actors!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt if it actually sold, especially for that kind of money.

More than likely, imo, a scam artist building up a fake provenance, so that some one down the line can get swindled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread