Artifact restoration?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Howdy folks, I was wondering if you might suggest some names or links of some artifact restoring websites? I searched google and didn't come up with anything. I recently bought a g9 sonora pinetree that was damaged( broken ear ) . Worst thing is the ear is nowhere to be found, in the box or packaging. I dont really want to send it back. I've contacted the dealer and am still awaiting word. Has anyone else had similar situation happen? Do you know any restorers who are good with sonora flint? It's still a nice pinetree only it's about a g5 now and doesn't match the coa. appreciate any comments or opinions. I'll post some pics if you want to see it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
thanks for the link man, the guy looks serious about restoration. Any ideas on how much to expect to pay to restore an ear?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
thirty7 said:
thanks for the link man, the guy looks serious about restoration. Any ideas on how much to expect to pay to restore an ear?

He's very reasonable, it shouldn't be much at all. I've never used his services, but I have seen his work.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7, I had Gomer repair this point for me and he was very reasonable on his price. I had both tangs and about a quarter inch of the tip restored on this Thebes and only paid $45.00 shipping and all.

As you can see by the pictures, he even made the restorations translucent and you can't even tell the restored areas from the real. He is definitely a master at his craft.

Attachments

• New Pics06.jpg
    New Pics06.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 328
  • New Pics08.jpg
    New Pics08.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 302
  • New Pics09.jpg
    New Pics09.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 345
  • New Pics10.jpg
    New Pics10.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 332
  • New Pics06.jpg
    New Pics06.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 308
  • New Pics08.jpg
    New Pics08.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 328
  • New Pics09.jpg
    New Pics09.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 319
  • New Pics10.jpg
    New Pics10.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 313
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
nice dork, thanks for the pics, looks like a solid job, I cant tell it was restored, awesome thebes btw, never seen one out of that material. I think I'll give the good doctor a call, I now have two unieared pinetrees worthy of repair.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
here's the damaged pinetree at the bottom, coa picture of what it used to look like in the middle, and on top is another sonora pinetree I'll have restored.

Attachments

• phpe9OQFdPM.jpg
    phpe9OQFdPM.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 315

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
Steve, why didn't ya show the before???

Because I can only post on here from home now and the before picture is on my work computer. I'll see if I can transfer it to home and I'll post a picture of the before.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
So the well known dealer who sold me this piece finally got back to me and said he found the missing ear. This is after an email stating " It was all there when I sent it ". Now it seems he was in a rush when he sent it and the missing ear is with him. unreal. How would you handle this? Send the piece back? or restore the ear and deal with a g? restored pinetree?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
yeah Gomer is tops, heck of a collector and restoration dude. He specializes in translucent points. Plus he is the finder owner of the Batwing cache, find of a lifetime.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id send it back,and find a better one. jamey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread