sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welsbury, I can't get over the oblique pressure flaking on that jasper knife. The maker was a true artist. What a remarkable find.

Here's a couple more frames. All personal finds except for the Big Sandy (blue dot) which was found by my nephew and as far as I know, it's the only arrowhead that he's ever found. He finally relented and sold it to me when Panama City Beach beckoned him that summer.

frame6.jpg frame7.jpg

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a case my son is working on all personal finds from private property . N. California and the Great Basin .

Attachments

• P7183825.JPG
    P7183825.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • P7183830.JPG
    P7183830.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • P7183826.JPG
    P7183826.JPG
    510.5 KB · Views: 100
  • P7183828.JPG
    P7183828.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • P7183832.JPG
    P7183832.JPG
    558.8 KB · Views: 90

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a case my son is working on all personal finds from private property . N. California and the Great Basin .

Some really nice artifacts in there .... what’s the inscribed piece just to the left and up a bit from the oval shaped rock that’s partially drilled?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice artifacts in there .... what’s the inscribed piece just to the left and up a bit from the oval shaped rock that’s partially drilled?

Thanks its a piece of a clay pipe stem trade item ?

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, why do you suppose there were holes drilled in the bannerstone?

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner but I must have missed this question. The holes are repair holes to fix the broken wing. There would have been another piece with three holes as well that would have been tied to this. If you look close at the left had side in the first picture you can see where they were scoring it to break off a piece to repair that side. I picked this up at he flea market for $40 and he said if he ever found the missing piece I could have it.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few more. You guys are rocking it for sure.

Here's some Ft Ancient pieces for your perusal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    945.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    738.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    897.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    805.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    967.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    843.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    920.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Grim, I really like all the drilled teeth you have found. Also the big tooth, bear? I've never found one and always wanted to. There are drilled sharks teeth found here in Fl. Never found one of those either!

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grim, I really like all the drilled teeth you have found. Also the big tooth, bear? I've never found one and always wanted to. There are drilled sharks teeth found here in Fl. Never found one of those either!

I have a buddy who found a drilled Sharks Tooth on one of out Ft Ancient sites we hunt. This site is about a mile from the Tremper Mound site which is a famous Hopewell Mound and there were some found there too. And yes, the big ones are Bears Teeth. The others are Fox, Dog, Coyote, Wolfe and other canine teeth of various small animals.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, this is gonna do it for me with the last of my frames. All personal finds from one site except for the big Edgefield (orange dot), found by a friend and sold to me a couple of years later. That site spoiled me for life like my first love, since it was the first area I ever looked when I started collecting. Of all the stuff found by everyone that I know of, it probably wasn't 1% of what was out there. It was knowingly destroyed by the local government with the knowledge of the state. Hypocrisy at its worst by folks who don't want us collecting because we might destroy history.

I may post close-ups of some of the pieces later to keep the thread going if anybody's interested.

frame LF.jpg frame LF1.jpg frame LF2.jpg

egg.jpg egg1.jpg

egg2.jpg egg3.jpg

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a site that was.Needle, atlatl weight,fine chipped pieces. What do you think about your dimpled stone? I have seen similar that they were calling bola stones,might have been pics of yours somewhere. Dimple they said was for the knot that tied it on.Good stuff,did the state haul it off for fill somewhere or what?

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a mutant Desert Side Notch, Sierra variety. One of the largest I have seen,others are normal size. One of my favorite pieces.

Attachments

• DSN 3X.JPG
    DSN 3X.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, this is gonna do it for me with the last of my frames. All personal finds from one site except for the big Edgefield (orange dot), found by a friend and sold to me a couple of years later. That site spoiled me for life like my first love, since it was the first area I ever looked when I started collecting. Of all the stuff found by everyone that I know of, it probably wasn't 1% of what was out there. It was knowingly destroyed by the local government with the knowledge of the state. Hypocrisy at its worst by folks who don't want us collecting because we might destroy history.

I may post close-ups of some of the pieces later to keep the thread going if anybody's interested.

View attachment 1614211 View attachment 1614212 View attachment 1614213

View attachment 1614214 View attachment 1614215

View attachment 1614216 View attachment 1614217

Now this is what I like to see. I love looking at site material because it really helps tell the story of the site. Did you find any Scrapers there? I don't see any in the trays. Looks like if was an obvious camp or maybe a small village with the Beads, Pendants, Bola Stones, etc so the absence of Tools is odd.

Great looking pieces! Thanks for adding them.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welsbury;5876450...Good stuff said:
The county did, and the state was aware of the site.

Now this is what I like to see. I love looking at site material because it really helps tell the story of the site. Did you find any Scrapers there? I don't see any in the trays. Looks like if was an obvious camp or maybe a small village with the Beads, Pendants, Bola Stones, etc so the absence of Tools is odd.

Yessir, there were plenty of tools. I'll try to get together some pictures of those, too.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one of my frames. All personal finds in Shelby, Moultrie, and Piatt Co.'s in IL. DSC09035.JPG

I found this Thebes in '87. Unknown material. I thought it might be Coshocton "Nellie Grey" but people from Ohio didn't think so. How about it Reaper. Is this Ohio flint?
DSC09036.JPG

This is a Cobbs or Stanfield, depending on what part of the country you live. Material might be Kaolin from So. IL but not positive.
DSC09038.JPG

Small dovetail. Made from local glacial till material.
DSC09040.JPG

This point is called a heavy duty. Burlington flint from Western IL.
DSC09041.JPG

We find corner notch points like this made from Indiana green flint. Also called Attica flint. It is kind of metallic green and striped. Unique material.
DSC09042.JPG

This is the smallest Thebes I've ever found. Thebes are considered knives, but I wonder if this small one was a dart point? Material is white glacial till flint.
DSC09043.JPG

Leaf knife made from yet another type of local glacial till material.
DSC09044.JPG

A small used up Clovis made from Sonora flint from KY. The only complete Clovis I've found.
DSC09045.JPG

I think this corner notch is called a Stilwell. I'd guess the flint is from KY.
DSC09046.JPG

A bright yellow bifurcate. Material is either Burlington or glacial.
DSC09047.JPG

Dovetail made from local glacial flint.
DSC09048.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...What do you think about your dimpled stone? I have seen similar that they were calling bola stones,might have been pics of yours somewhere. Dimple they said was for the knot that tied it on...
They're usually called eggstones in these parts, but their actual use is still a mystery. A lot of theories out there, including bolas that you mentioned, club heads, game pieces, and fertility symbols due to the egg shape. I know of at least 15 being found on this site, including a cache of 5. I found my pair 2 days and 15 feet apart.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a few to hold you until I can take some more pictures. The adze is from out there.

frame5.jpg frame5a.jpg

A few more items in this frame that I posted earlier. Points marked in red including an oddball at left that I can't satisfactorially type. There's a supposedly extremely rare Cowhorn Bolen down south and if you flip it over, it looks just like a steer head, but I got shot down on another now nearly defunct website that showed others that really don't resemble cow horns at all. Oh, well. A couple of uniface thumbnail scrapers in purple, a scraper made from a bifacial point tip in pink, and a really neat chisel tip graver made from a Bolen Bevel in lime green.

frame2_LI (2).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions