Artificial rain with so-so results in Western Oklahoma

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Another week without rain. It's happening all around us, but my partner and I decided to do something about it. Rigged up a 2" water pump and made our own rain. Now I know there are those of you out there who will suggest that this goes beyond surface hunting, and perhaps you're right. However, I'm tired of waiting on Mother Nature. Moreover, we're entering the time of year which is typically the dryest and the hotest. We worked hard, but found a few pieces including a broken celt, a nice abrader and an unidentified small point with a fragment of a barb that I would like a little help with. Hope others are having better luck. It's hot. I'm just about ready to hire one of our local Cheyenne dancers to perform a rain dance. It's dry, and nothing is on the horizon.
I would be curious to know what anybody else might be doing in the plowed fields to step things up. Any one else irrigating out there? Don't know that I have enough starch in my panties to do this every weekend, but it does help knock the dust off things, and I suppose we'll be giving it another run in a week or two.
PS: The landowner, who is a patient of mine, had a worried look on his face when I suggested that we would like to water his dirt. I think he just lost a little confidence in his family doctor.

Attachments

• 72311d.JPG
    72311d.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 72311e.JPG
    72311e.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 353
  • 72311c.JPG
    72311c.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 72311b.JPG
    72311b.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I have never irrigated but understand your frustration with lack of rain. We have been in the same situation is southwest Georgia. We have been in an epoch drought this spring and summer. However last weekend we got 4.2 inches or rain (at my house, less in other places in the county). I have learned that even without rain you can find points. It helps if the land is sandy but even in clay land they are "findable". When wind blows it helps to uncover points in sandy land. Good luck with real rain in the future.

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain???????

the last rain we had here was Thanksgiving!!!!!

Wind has blown a lot of the topsoil so we have had good luck finding points. Dealing with 110 makes it pretty rough, tho!!!!!!

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Docmann

I've thought about doing the irrigation tactic several times...I just don't have a water supply close enough to the hunting grounds. Bummer!

As for the point with the "barb" on it, my uneducated guess tells me that it is a broken Sallisaw base. Would have been a really cool looking point if found whole.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i can say is , dude u are fricken awesome!! i always wanted to try that but u did it hell yeah

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hah! you Rock Doc :headbang: That's a heartbreaker, for sure, but at least you're out there! 107 in our part of the state, but we hunted yest. anyway, a few scrapers and a piece of pottery. since I hunt a creek, I wonder about just throwing buckets of creek water up against the bank in a good spot? hmm....

thanks for sharing!

naturegirl

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could probably find a lot of folks that would be more than happy for you to come out and water their dirt down there right now! Right now the barbed piece is a puzzle to me. Not quite the same base I see on the Sallisaw points, but it looks like the complete piece would have been pretty cool. That spot's worth goin back to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread