Artillery Round from WWII?

barb.mich

Feb 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the beach (Emerald Isle, North Carolina) while walking during low tide earlier this week. It appears to be an artillery round from, well, I'm hoping it was from WWII! It appears to be brass, and on the bottom is written 40 mm MK2 Lot 0484 and some other markings I cannot read. It stands 12 inches tall and 2.5 inches across the base. Sure am wondering where it came from, and is it possible it's been in the water since the 40's? Thanks in advance! Barb

Attachments

• 145852116_1519889434867308_7321391953488463756_n.jpg
    145852116_1519889434867308_7321391953488463756_n.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 144973275_1139741149840682_4813104073803231091_n.jpg
    144973275_1139741149840682_4813104073803231091_n.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 76

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a 40mm shell.

Just went back and read and saw where you said that ready. Modern AC-130 Gunships have a 40mm Bofors gun on them. Could have come from someone's collection. The older shells were brass and the later ones made from steel.

Most of the older shells were dated, so you'll have to clean it up and see if you can find a date on it and the rest of the head stamp. Quick note, upto sometime around 2017, the USAF was reloading WWII 40mm brass shells for use with the AC-130 Gunship. So there are/were WWII era shells still being used up to 2017. I think the last of the Gunships with the 40mm Bofors might be retired now.

Welcome to TNet and the madness from Panama City Florida, we have some pretty smart knowledgeable members. So stick around and enjoy the weirdness and fun.

Here's my 40mm shells from a Gunship mission over Bosnia.

175676_1913840364870_7427270_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Your markings are as follows.

Anchor symbol: Some say for a Naval round.
Triangle L: Manufacturer mark for Lyon, Inc. Detroit, Michigan.
40mm: Shell caliber 40mm Bofors Cannon.
Mk 2: Meaning a brass shell (Mk 3 were steel shells)
LOT NO 0484: Lot number of the shell in case there are issues with it.
AL: Don't know at this time, but might be a marking showing it had been reloaded.
1-44: Manufactured date of Jan 1944.

Primer area:
Can't read the stampings there.

Here's a picture to show what your head stamp would look cleaned up.

08312d26e50b88244920b0667fd85c8e71bbe229_2_1380x1034.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barb.mich

Feb 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to reply! I am happy to know the artillery shell is from the 40's! My father was in WWII, and our son is a CWO4 in the Marine Corps, so I have a keen interest in all things military. Thanks again for your posts. Barb

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to reply! I am happy to know the artillery shell is from the 40's! My father was in WWII, and our son is a CWO4 in the Marine Corps, so I have a keen interest in all things military. Thanks again for your posts. Barb

Thank you for your Father's and Son's service. My Dad, Father-in-Law, Brother and I are Retired USAF, and my oldest son a prior Marine (Left the Corps to go to college fulltime).

A little elbow grease and you might be able to clean the casing up nicely and make a cool display out of it.

It was used in a 40mm Bofors Cannon aka Pom Pom Gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike thank you for your service.
Your display is beautiful.
Your explanation is the stuff banners are made of.

Upvote 0

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice detective work ffuries.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barb.mich

Feb 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike - and same to you and your family! Your son really took a walk on the wild side by joining the Marines, and not the AF! :)

My father was in the 12th Armored Div., 23rd Tank Battalion, led by Gen. Patton. They stripped all insignia off their equipment so the German army couldn't predict their location from day to day, as they blasted their way across Germany, liberating death camps along the way. He earned the Bronze Star for bravery, and should have been awarded the Purple Heart as he was wounded in battle, but he never fought to get it, he just wanted to make it home and forget. He didn't speak of it for almost 50 years, when I started asking him about his experiences. Little did I know I had opened the floodgates! We made it to 3 reunions before he passed away. (He never knew they were having them every year since 1945!)

As to this shell, how would I clean it? Buff it out? I did some searching on the net and found that 3 weeks after the Pearl Harbor attack, there were German subs in the waters off our eastern coast. A research team has discovered a shipwreck 35 miles off the cost of Cape Hatteras - a German sub, U-576, which was involved in a battle with a US cargo ship named MS Bluefields. Both sank on July 15, 1942 in a battle lasting just minutes, and lie side-by-side on the ocean floor. All hands survived from the US ship, but the 45 German crewmen of the U-576 are entombed inside. I never knew this piece of history, that we were fighting the war on our east coast!

We are staying in a condo until April, so I'll be on that beach looking for more relics. My hubby just bought a MineLab Equinox 800, so who knows what we may find! Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Army and Air Corp used the beaches of NC and SC for practice in the 30's & 40's. We used to find all kinds of shell and ammo in the 70's.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Mike - and same to you and your family! Your son really took a walk on the wild side by joining the Marines, and not the AF! :)

My father was in the 12th Armored Div., 23rd Tank Battalion, led by Gen. Patton. They stripped all insignia off their equipment so the German army couldn't predict their location from day to day, as they blasted their way across Germany, liberating death camps along the way. He earned the Bronze Star for bravery, and should have been awarded the Purple Heart as he was wounded in battle, but he never fought to get it, he just wanted to make it home and forget. He didn't speak of it for almost 50 years, when I started asking him about his experiences. Little did I know I had opened the floodgates! We made it to 3 reunions before he passed away. (He never knew they were having them every year since 1945!)

As to this shell, how would I clean it? Buff it out? I did some searching on the net and found that 3 weeks after the Pearl Harbor attack, there were German subs in the waters off our eastern coast. A research team has discovered a shipwreck 35 miles off the cost of Cape Hatteras - a German sub, U-576, which was involved in a battle with a US cargo ship named MS Bluefields. Both sank on July 15, 1942 in a battle lasting just minutes, and lie side-by-side on the ocean floor. All hands survived from the US ship, but the 45 German crewmen of the U-576 are entombed inside. I never knew this piece of history, that we were fighting the war on our east coast!

We are staying in a condo until April, so I'll be on that beach looking for more relics. My hubby just bought a MineLab Equinox 800, so who knows what we may find! Thanks again for your help!

Pretty hard to nail down when the shell ended up where it did. WWII era shells were reloaded, reused and even still in the supply system years after the war. Then there is the fact that many people have them as souvenirs and a recent hurricane could have destroyed a house and washed the casing away.

With the amount of ammo, guns, shell casings, militaria, etc in our house if it washed away people would think there was a battlefield here.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of build-up aka encrustation, so I wouldn't think it's been down there 77 years or so, but then you never know. As for cleaning, there is a section here on TNet that should give you answers on that, see link.

Cleaning & Preservation

My dad was in Vietnam and that affected him, I did Desert Storm, Bosnia, Afghanistan, my brother did Bosnia and Iraq. My FIL and son never made it to a war zone. I have family that was in WWII on the American side, Dutch side and German side. They were all affected by what they experienced in WWII, and all came home changed.......

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much every US Navy ship bigger than a rowboat had 40mm Bofors anti aircraft guns, and I believe most of the transport ships were supplied with them as well. My guess on yours would be a target practice round from WW2 that spent a long time buried in the sand on the seabed and was brought up by beach replenishment fairly recently. It's definitely a cool find and not something you see on the beaches every day. If my thought is right and it was dredged up during beach replenishment you might find a few more nearby as well.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some searching on the net and found that 3 weeks after the Pearl Harbor attack, there were German subs in the waters off our eastern coast. A research team has discovered a shipwreck 35 miles off the cost of Cape Hatteras - a German sub, U-576, which was involved in a battle with a US cargo ship named MS Bluefields. Both sank on July 15, 1942 in a battle lasting just minutes, and lie side-by-side on the ocean floor. All hands survived from the US ship, but the 45 German crewmen of the U-576 are entombed inside. I never knew this piece of history, that we were fighting the war on our east coast!

There is also the U-352 about 26 miles off Morehead City, NC. Sunk by the US Coast Guard May 9, 1942. I did a dive on the wreck back in the 90's. It is one of my most memorable.

The wreck was discovered by recreational divers in the 1970's and created a bit of an international incident when the bones of German sailors were brought up and displayed in a local dive shop.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread