Artist proof artwork

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister-in-law has this artwork that I’ve been trying to figure out the signature and value it’s an artist proof number 13 if anyone can make out the signature or seen it before any information would be greatly appreciated thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516417343.444619.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516417355.927194.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516417368.442366.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516417381.524240.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An artist proof would be AP or EA, not sure what the RP stands for.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the embossed symbol around the signature say? It may be an artist's collective, gallery, last name of artist etc... that might be a clue or a place to start searching.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps RP means reprinted (2nd ed.) from original printing run?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found R.P. defined as reprint as it applies to books and printing, but the book is from 1894. I don't know how prevalent that would be apply to this particular modern looking piece. https://books.google.com/books?id=x...J#v=onepage&q=RELIEF PRINT marked rp?&f=false

It looks like a reduction print? maybe, but I don't know if it would be marked as such. Maybe the blind stamp can help with the ID. Can you read it? I can make out a few letters on the bottom portion but that's it. Also, here is a site that has thousands of artists listed by name alphabetically. Might help?? Artists By Name - Artists' Signatures

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I’ll try to get a better picture of it tomorrow thanks for all the help

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The artist is Nicola Simbari. Price depends on what type of artwork it is with prints (and by prints I mean original,signed, limited edition prints like lithos and serigraphs, not mass reprinted repros) bringing less that original paintings but still selling for some decent money. A quick search brings up tons of info. It is a very nice picture.

***Just a quick tip for anyone trying to research artwork - I took your image, cropped it to just the artwork then dropped the image file into Google image search box (click on image option top right of Google page). It will search for visually similar images. Usually it will just bring up a bunch of pictures that look like it in composition, subject and color (results can be hilarious and unexpected sometimes) but sometimes with an artist who has a distinctive style or a with an artwork that has been on posted somewhere on the internet before it will find the exact image or a body of the artist's work. The result with your piece was immediate - gave me the name as top suggestion and brought up tons of his work.***

Last edited:

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoodnHead - That seems like an incredibly valuable tool. Can I do it from my phone? If so, I can’t quite figure out how. It would sure be useful on the fly in thrift stores

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoodnHead - That seems like an incredibly valuable tool. Can I do it from my phone? If so, I can’t quite figure out how. It would sure be useful on the fly in thrift stores

Google 'Reverse image search on phone' I don't know your phone type/specs but there are options out there. For Android and iPhone try this - scroll down to phone or tablet. https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RP would typically be the Registration Proof. Released similar to the Artist Proof and the Printers Proof. It is a way to extend the numbers in a limited standard release. RP AP AND PP's Can be more valuable as they are typically 10% or less of the quantity of the Standard release.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL