Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the 3 photos, (the original, the second bridge, and current photo), this is my opinion from looking at the 2nd photo, you see A LOT of work done to include the bridge arch structure, (which daming part of the river to dig out sediment and pour concrete for the footing and stone work for the center arch as well as the side arches), One would have to dig down to bedrock for base of the footing. Also on the second photo it appears to have a lot of dirt material and earth on top of the rbidge itself, if that is a train I see on top.

Now the 3rd photo pretty much shows all the earth pretty much removed from the top of the arch bridge itself.

Looking at all 3 photos there is a great deal of hieght difference from the original photo through the 3rd one. So one can see a lot of river sediment adn sand/gravel build up around the banks etc.

But here is my theory, but I could be wrong, but who knows? I never been there.

Now here is my theory;

If there were any gold bars or whatever on the train and the train wreck got cleaned up the best they could after the fact, but the construction of the arch bridge as I mentioned above and the work involved to build the footings, especially under and near where the arches will be placed. It seems logical someone most likely found the gold and never said anything about it. As I said when building a bridge or any structure, especially in any water way, you have to block off/devert the river to dig down to bedrock for a stable base because of the water flow. Being that it appears the arch bridge is pretty wide, (the direction of the river), they would have to block off a good area to dig out river sediment to hit bedrock. So it seems someone would have found something, especially if it was shiny gold!

Now if it was todays times, they would drill/bore a hole, drop in rebar and pour in concrete for the pilons.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2012
Norwalk,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck going down there tomorrow ( TribeTime24 ) ! With all this rain were getting today the river ought to be pretty flooded and you'll need a boat!

The HarleyMan2, None of the dirt has been removed from the top of the 1904/current bridge, that's a good 105 years of vegetation and tree growth above the concrete arches on the sides except for the top where the tracks are. There's not much height difference between the old photo and now,if anythng the RR track grade is probably 4-5 ft. heigher from over the years of ballast being dumped and the track being elvated some as the RR's do so everytime they replace ties they will dump ballast and tamp raising things slightly.

Yes when they dug out for the footings of the 1904 bridge they probably found some wreck stuff, but who knows today as those people are long gone.One can see today that when they dug for the footings alot of the stone rubble was thrown to the west where it still lies under the west arch where it tapers from the center to the far west wall. Very little water flows under the west arch except when the river floods, it puddles in shallow pools only a few inches deep in the summer months near the west wall. It's really hard to find anything in all the rock under the west arch as it also is in the area of piled stone on the north side of the bridge.

A few years ago i spent over a hour digging what i thought was a good signal in the water north of the bridge along the west bank. I dug down almost a foot and ended up digging up a large old wooden spoked wagon wheel with the iron outer tread/band and center hub. It was missing one spoke and was a wonder the wood hadn't entirely rotted away. The cold water must have preserved it but it was covered in a nasty black residue and i wasn't going to haul it home in the trunk of the car that day! It would have made a nice lawn decoration but i figured i'd leave it for someone else to take home. It was gone on my next visit there. I didn't find any gold that day and spent a good 8 hrs. there that day and went home tired,waterlogged and my clothes were covered with that nasty black residue from that old wagon wheel.

Dec 29, 2012
Norwalk,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the wheel. Maybe somebody tried hauling all that gold out with it years ago! I seriously doubt there was any large quanities of gold on the train. The safes were all recovered from the remains of the express cars following the wreck. If there was any gold it would have been in the safes or what little the passengers carried themselves. Here's a photo of that old wagon wheel.

Attachments

• Ashtabula wagon wheel.jpg
    Ashtabula wagon wheel.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I hear ya. I am sure that wagon wheel would have made a great lawn decoration! Yeah, I have to agree with you on the gold in the safes deal!

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I'm a newbie to th and to the site. I see that there is a historical marker about the wreck near the site. Does'nt this mean that the site is protected and that salvaging isn't permitted?

Thanks, Joe 220px-Ashtabula_Train_Disaster_Marker.jpg

Last edited:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not necessarily, it all depends on whether or not the site has been declared a state historic site and covered by state park regulations. Most road markers are just that, road markers usually placed by the local historical society or state society. That being said, this varies from state to state.

HH
PTP

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides the marker, as in this case with human remains present, this feels like looting a cemetery.

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the site of the accident, downstream to Lake Erie is only about 2 miles. I would think that after 136 years of water and ice flowing downstream there shouldn't be to much(if any) human remains left at the site. Just my opinion. Happy Hunting!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hows the fishing on the river
any chance catching diner when your there.

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hows the fishing on the river
any chance catching diner when your there.

HaHa, Not at this time.....river was still ice covered the other day.

MoparOhio

Dec 19, 2013
Columbus, Oh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very familiar with Ashtabula. I want to go to the site of the bridge. I know where it is but the question becomes where does one park to be able to walk down to the bridge? In looking at Google Earth the Catholic Church has a large parking lot that backs up to it... is there an access point from there? Also, where is the Historic sign about the train wreck located? Is it on Lake Ave by the train bridge?

Rev.ViLe

Feb 10, 2024
Does anyone know any updates on this? I want to go next week and see if I can find any gold that spilled in the river. Has anyone ever tried to look for it? Would any of the gold still be there in the river? Also I read somewhere about three guys robbing a bank in Canada and came to ohio. One man shot two of the men and buried the gold under a big oak tree. Does anyone have any whereabouts of where that might be? Or any updates/leads? Thanks
I've found gold in the Ashtabula River nothing major and not much. But not in the form you are thinking. The train wreck gold I believe to be a hoax. I think it was never loaded on the train and was stolen. The train wreck was on purpose as the distraction. I've never heard the Canandian Bank robbery story. But then again there is a lot around here hidden. Lot of things have been swept under the rug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread