Ashtray

Daddio Digger

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected and dug this up a few months back. I suspect it’s of Southwest US, as to the rocks, the Donkey, or Mule.

As I heard the rings of the detector, I knew I had found a metal something or other. As I dug down 6-7” all I saw was a rock.

Why would rocks set the detector off?

The Donkey, or Mule, is made of Copper, solid copper, that’s why I thought Southwest US.

Arizona mining country origin?

I don’t know, maybe you folks do?
Thanks for looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459744.004100.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459758.841803.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459770.473996.jpg

Edit: I should have noted it took several sessions in the sink with soapy water and a soft brush to clean this unit up. Then a coat of clear to make it shine.

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh, I know one thing, it sure is ugly ...................... in a good way, congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! :occasion14:
IMHO: The donkey and cigarette tray set off the machine.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh, I know one thing, it sure is ugly ...................... in a good way, congrats!!

I was sittin' here wonderin' how to say the exact same thing without sounding snooty! Joe, you said it perfect!

Nice find...I guess. No, really, nice find!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashtray...not too high on the bucket list lol... but certainly an interesting find, Daddio! And a great job on the clean-up...Ddf.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it maybe had a Spanish tourist look to it??

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably originally came from Stuckey's. They used to be all over the place here in AZ and the Southwest US, and they had curio shops full of stuff just like your ashtray.

st.jpg

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably originally came from Stuckey's. They used to be all over the place here in AZ and the Southwest US, and they had curio shops full off stuff just like your ashtray.

View attachment 1742157
I used to love stopping at Stuckeys on the way to Florida as a kid, I always got a civil war kepi and a pecan roll.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved their Pecan Divinity...good stuff. I think a few Stuckey's still exist, but not around here any more. Some of their old building are still around though, re-purposed as something else.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an unusual find. At least yours is more than metal, and has some art design to it. You did a great job on the cleanup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread