Asian porcelain and glass objects from Philippines

jeff08xx

Apr 23, 2011
Dallas TX, Philippines, Fairbanks Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Whites 2-box deep cache
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law took me to the top of a hill and what I thought would have been a good gun emplacement on my last day there. It is a miracle we found this stuff at all, considering it was in a crack of the lava rock in a hollowed spot. We were getting lots of broken bottles that were thick walled and brown. The porcelain is from a small bowl, age unknown...maybe they were eating from Ming Dynasty looted goods, lol. HPIM0240.JPG HPIM0244.JPG HPIM0245.JPG HPIM0248.JPG The glass has etching lines on it and has me puzzled, being bullet shaped. I will go back with a detector next time.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Jeff,

The glass shard is the base of a torpedo or Hamilton soda water bottle.

They were made from 1809 to the Turn of the 20th Century.

Yours is showing the signs of severe glass sickness or devitrification.

torpedo.jpg Bottle Bases Page

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jeff08xx

jeff08xx

Apr 23, 2011
Dallas TX, Philippines, Fairbanks Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Whites 2-box deep cache
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, surf, that was fast and it certainly looks like it to me. That's a really odd shape for a bottle. Gotta drink it all cuz u can't set it down. Looks like a good bottle for throwing Molotov cocktails. I'll do some research and try to figure out how and who put it there. Thanks for your input. Here's a few links for those interested. Some are rare.

http://dangilbert.tripod.com/1soda/1soda.html
http://www.ebay.com/gds/TORPEDO-HAMILTON-SODA-WATER-BOTTLE-SCHWEPPES-GUIDE-/10000000011214194/g.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jeff,

The form suggests England as the glass maker. These are called, by some, "ballast bottles." Their shape dictated that they be stored on their side, thus keeping the wired on cork moist.

Here's one that was bottled in that part of the world.

download.axd?file=0;39474&filename=Nk27832.jpg soda botel | Antique Bottles Forum

Last edited:
Upvote 0

erictreasure

Greenie
Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a site here in the Visayan region and we have some positive signs engraved in the rock namely ( a heart shape, an F and an arrow). Our site also has a Japanese history. A lot of treasure hunters(korean and japanese) have been visiting our lot before and were very interested. Some of the koreans dug up some bones and brought it to korea. It is in the mountains and is near a river creek. A bomb was also found beside our lot and the bomb( water barrel size) was pointing to our lot. I would want to now if you have gadgets or a scanner that would be able to see the object and its depth. If possible, may I ask for your contact number. I am willing to negotiate it with you. Thank you very much. Happy Holidays and God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread