Asked to buy friends coins

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Just had a friend call and ask if I was interested in his old halves, only has about 8 or 10 coins. He said they are 1942,43 & 44 minted and someone told him they were worth $5.00 each and if I was interested he would sell to me. I was not home so he left a message, but I want to call him back today. Should I give the $5.00 each and keep them for a while?

Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
If they are those years they would be Walking Liberty Halves. Any 90%er is worth over 10 times face value with silver at its current price, but Walkers always tend to carry a premium. I would buy them for sure! Realistically if they are in decent shape they would be worth 13 to 15 times face value. If you went to a coin store....the average 40's Walkers still cost you upwards of $7.00 each so at $5.00 I would buy them all day long!!

KEverett

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, thats an easy buy. If you don't want them, I'll buy 'em. ;D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy all you can at $5 each. If you dont, send him my way.

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Ok I just met up wirt him and picked up 8 real nice coins he has had since the mid 70's. I paid him the $5.00 each and bought a lunch at In & Out burger, so I have $48.00 invested. I think I did OK. He said his father in law might still have some old coins and when he gets back to Michigan he will investigate. I told him I would pay the same to him and even send the money to him and he could just bring those coins back to Arizona when he returns in the fall. Thanks for all the quick replys

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
dp2013 said:
Melt value for those 3 coins as of this minute is $21.08
There is no possible way 3 circulated Walkers will melt an ounce, I've more than a few that it'd take 4 of them to make an ounce out of.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
obediah said:
dp2013 said:
There is no possible way 3 circulated Walkers will melt an ounce, I've more than a few that it'd take 4 of them to make an ounce out of.

I predict that someday if/when silver really goes up in price, coin dealers will start buying junk silver by weight and not face value. If you take a stack of '64 Kennedys and line them next to the same number of circulated Walkers, the difference is pretty apparent.

If I was going to buy junk silver I would prefer late year Franklins (62-63), even over '64 Kennedys. The reason for this is because they are generally not worn down and there is no need to worry about checking dates to make sure no 40%ers or later Kennedys are in there.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
obediah said:
dp2013 said:

I predict that someday if/when silver really goes up in price, coin dealers will start buying junk silver by weight and not face value. If you take a stack of '64 Kennedys and line them next to the same number of circulated Walkers, the difference is pretty apparent.

If I was going to buy junk silver I would prefer late year Franklins (62-63), even over '64 Kennedys. The reason for this is because they are generally not worn down and there is no need to worry about checking dates to make sure no 40%ers or later Kennedys are in there.

Jim
I agree Jim. My local dealer has been selling 90% junk for the last year, at 13 X. He has it sold as soon as it comes in. I doubt many coins are making it to the smelter, they are just changing hands. I started buying Walkers at that price because I think that their numismatic value will exceed melt value in the future, unless spot price soars. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread