Asked to find a cell phone. Ended up with 1 silver.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at the park after work for a quick hunt. Was asked by a worker in the park running a skid loader to find his cellphone. That was a first for me. He accidentally left it on top of his loader then began working. Noticed after a bit that it was missing and remembered he left it on top. I was passing by and he asked if my detector could find it. I said possibly and proceeded to get more details. I air tested my cell phone under my coil to get an idea what I was looking for. Spent about 30 minutes scanning the area but could not find it. I was disappointed for sure. He was very upset as he had a lot of photos on the phone that were not backed up. Anyone here ever tasked with finding a cell phone?

After that I detected the edges of the work area and hit this silver Rosie. Silver #4 FTY. So at least the hunt was not a total failure. IMG_20170417_190242366.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were using your AT Pro, use no discrimination and max sensitivity, in Pro Zero mode, and you should be able to find it unless it is buried really deep. It should come up as a large target.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the silver, and attempting to find his cell phone.

OP
OP
detectorben

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were using your AT Pro, use no discrimination and max sensitivity, in Pro Zero mode, and you should be able to find it unless it is buried really deep. It should come up as a large target.
I was using etrac yesterday so i just ran my coil over my phone. If it was close to my coil I got an overload message. If it was a few inches away it was reading 16 48 VID so I went off that. I could not find any similar signals or overload. It was a pretty large area and it could have been 4-6 inches down in hard pack dirt that made it pretty tricky. We had a limited window as they had to continue grading and working on new playground install so unfortunately he is out of luck. I wish I could have found it for him. I think if I had a few hours to grid off the area and really search meticulously I may have been able to find it.

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be stating the obvious, but did you try calling his cellphone? Silver is always nice. Put it in the pile and watch it accumulate.

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be stating the obvious, but did you try calling his cellphone? Silver is always nice. Put it in the pile and watch it accumulate.

DOH!

OP
OP
detectorben

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yeah we tried that a few times. He had actually done that for a while before he flagged me down as well. It was a noisy part of town and I think it was too deep.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found quite a few cell phones, mostly at beaches, while not particularly looking for them.
They don't ring up as anything special that I recall, obviously a stronger signal and bigger pinpoint than an average coin. Might even be easier using a cheaper machine like an Ace than an Etrac finding something like this.

Returned one a few years ago, back before everyone routinely locks their phones, I was able to look through contacts and make some calls and find the guy. Said he lost it a couple weeks before, survived all that time in the sand, had to have rained during that period.
don't know how you would return one now being locked and all.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asked to find an Iphone buried in a monster pile of leaves once. It rang off as a huge 12-41, didn't get quite to overload, but was a booming large signal that when I heard it, thought "That's gotta be the phone" and it was. Sadly, for your search, that would probably be more of an eyeball find rather than a detector find, and maybe someone else spotted it first and beat you to the phone...

jnicole

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know how you would return one now being locked and all.
Personally, on my lock screen, I have a message that states "if found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX". It worked in the past, when I lost my phone, they called my husband. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread