Asking for coins in the counting machines?

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was just curious if anyone has tried / had luck asking for coins in the counting machines.

I know that coinstar machines will generally spit the silver back out but what about the other brand machines at say your local credit union's?

My though is this could likely be a real treasure trove if the machine does not spit back out the silver. Kids bringing piggy banks, grandma's bringing grandpa's stash of coins etc.

Has anyone asked a teller or bank manager "can I buy all the (pick your denomination) from your coin counter?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us do or have bought bags off of machines. Not every establishment will sell them.

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us do or have bought bags off of machines. Not every establishment will sell them.

Thats good to know. I didnt know if it was something that was possible or not. Has there been any kind of noted/noticed increase in silver from doing this rather than just loose or rolled coins?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rejects & "trash tray" often have goodies---- like jewelry. banks without counters put CWR in Coinlok bags for the couriers---- ask to buy 'em :dontknow:

all they can do is say NO and beat you to a pulp for being PUSHY :laughing9::laughing9: & making demands-----

UNLESS you wear a backpack, mask and carry a :censored::protest: sign----
then they will bow to your needs---:laughing9:
much like when you seek "sanctuary":BangHead: or claim you are a "victim":angry5::angry4:

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just asked 2 banks today if they will sell me their halves off their machine once full and both said yes, even though it might take a while. One mentioned though that they won't give them to me loose, they'll have to roll them first so we'll see how that turns out. I also picked up a bag today from a different bank that was most likely off their machine, but not positive and just looking through some handfuls it looks good and can't wait to go through it!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is that bags of dimes off of the machine are noticeably richer than boxes of rolls (5-6 silvers per $1000 from bags rather than 3-4 from boxes).

My gut tells me that is because the bag is more likely to contain numerous someones' coin accumulations. If only a few people are dumping a few hundred dollars worth of mixed coins that come from dresser top coffee cans that took a few years to fill, that means a greater likelihood of wild-caught silver. Boxes of rolls are more likely to contain newly minted coins and/or are more likely to be downstream of a vending company that rejects silver.

Plus, you don't have to crack rolls if you get a bag!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just asked 2 banks today if they will sell me their halves off their machine once full and both said yes, even though it might take a while. One mentioned though that they won't give them to me loose, they'll have to roll them first so we'll see how that turns out. I also picked up a bag today from a different bank that was most likely off their machine, but not positive and just looking through some handfuls it looks good and can't wait to go through it!

Nice to score a loose bag of halves! There is some great potential there.

For your other lead, if tellers manually roll those coins, the odds of getting much drops dramatically. If they have a rolling machine, you could get lucky.

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may go back to the banks and ask for them. ALL of my finds in the last 2 weeks have been from loose or a couple CWR that a few banks had $30-40 laying around. I have been through about 1.5 boxes of Loomis wrapped rolls and found a big fat nothing along with the $200 worth of CWR that I got that was someones dump.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello: If I were you, find out how much the bags hold & how much are in them now. I would than fill up the bags in order to buy the coins. The banks are saying yes now but when the bags are finally full, the manager might have changed & now they won't sell you the bags. Around here where I am, the banks will not sell you the bags off the machine when they are full. Just my 2 cents worth.
HH
Gary

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was just curious if anyone has tried / had luck asking for coins in the counting machines.

I know that coinstar machines will generally spit the silver back out but what about the other brand machines at say your local credit union's?

My though is this could likely be a real treasure trove if the machine does not spit back out the silver. Kids bringing piggy banks, grandma's bringing grandpa's stash of coins etc.

Has anyone asked a teller or bank manager "can I buy all the (pick your denomination) from your coin counter?

:coffee2: Banks around here won't sell the bags off the coin counting machines. When I do my dumping as the bags fill up & they open up the machine to change them. I try & get the debris cup contents. This is a internal bin where the "trash" goes into. Sometimes change in addition to other things go into it instead of the reject chute. I ask them if I can have them & just dump them into my empty bag. I check later when I get home. I also try & get the change in the showing reject tray. I also check the garbage can next to the machine. Over the past 6 years I've found gold rings, silver rings, other jewelry, clad change, silver coins, foreign coins, Eisenhower dollars & even several Morgan/Peace dollars. :laughing7:
HH
Gary

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CW3: I agree with you as to other "things" in the inner garbage bin. I've gotten two men's gold rings with stones, some 925 sterling jewelry, plus many foreign large demon coins. I prefer bags vs boxes, chances of catching a complete silver dump intact before it separated at the coin processor counter/rolling machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread