Asking For Dimes Cost Me 1923 Peace Dollar

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Went to a small town today and asked for halves. The teller had no clue what that was and opens drawer and says, " you mean these?" in her hand was 1 Ike dollar and a 1923 Peace Dollar. I try to act as casual as possible and say, "sure, I will take those."

This is where I should have gave her the $2 and speed walked out to my car. But nooooooo, I had to ask I'd they had any dimes. She has to get the head teller to open up the vault at which point the other teller fills her in on what I am buying. All the while the Peace Dollar is sitting inches from me on the counter, and folks, it was in excellent shape.

At this point the head teller comes out and says, "sorry, I am holding this for someone who collects coins." I did manage to buy the dimes and got 4 rosies out of it.

The feeling of disappointment ran rather deep as I headed out the door.

The old saying "one in the hand is better than two in the bush" could not have fit better today.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Ahh, you got greedy and wanted it all. Seeing the silver, you should have finished that transaction. Once the transaction was complete as you were walking away, you could have mentioned, "Oh, by the way, I almost forgot. Do you have a box of dimes?" Lesson learned. At least you were weren't skunked on the silver.

Edit: Sorry for the omission on the contraction. I re-read my post and it read as though I was happy you were skunked.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the lose, but thnx for sharing i will definitely make a mental note of that!

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that's very unfortunate, sorry to hear about your loss but 4 silver dimes in a box is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't even think it would cross my mind to hurry up and buy the dollars if I had a teller to begin with who didn't even recognize a peace dollar, but perhaps what happened to you will allow us all to learn a valuable lesson and always 'speed buy' the silver, haha. Hope what goes around comes around for you and HH!

-Kleinerschmitter

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it was the Vault Manager she was saving the coin for...... :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread