Asking for Help from those "In the Know"

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
Asking for Help from those "In the Know"

While reading this board and planning my local spots as soon as my first detector comes in. I was reminded by my wife that her dad owns 600 acres of timberland south of Natchez, MS in Wilkinson Co, MS. It is close enough to Natchez that when asked where it is...we just say Natchez. I have NEVER been there but it is only used for timberland (very little) and hunting land - they thin out the timber enough to hunt but no clear cut. I also know there is a stream that run through it and some of the property is river-front (MS River of course). Any treasure stories you know of in this area..sunken ships..etc. Not looking for the big pay day just a little weekend adventure a few times a year.

plainsman

Feb 23, 2007
Re: Asking for Help from those "In the Know"

I would concentrate on the river bottom and bluffs overlooking if there are any. A little historical research would go a long way here. Public library in Natchez. Try to find information on any river landings, stage stops, post offices, or old settlements. Second thing would be location of any historical plantations. Remember that the yankees burned them and in many cases wealth was buried if it wasn't spent on the war effort or confiscated. On the ground look for old sunken roads and foundations. Also look over the stream beds. They tend to expose and concentrate old relics. Watch the stream banks and higher banks for bottle dumps. A lot of very old history here. Wish I could go with you.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

you are indeed blessed to have such a area to hunt -- there should be much to find there -- natchez was a major battle site during the civil war -- plus it had a long history prior to the war --there should be good hunting there -- along the river banks -- look for old road sites --if the area is on a "high bluff" there might have been artillery there at one time -- yes indeed --- good luck --- Ivan

OP
OP
Benbuck6

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA

We are going to Mobile, AL this weekend...I might take long route home and drive out to the property for the first time...If I do, i will take pics and post and get the exact cordinates and google earth it for you guys to see exactly where it is.

OP
OP
Benbuck6

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA

found a few pics of the property...i'll google earth it later...but oh my...it will be fun if anything else

Attachments

• DCP_0040.JPG
    DCP_0040.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 752
  • DCP_0041.JPG
    DCP_0041.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 750

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Benbuck6-
The Yankees did NOT burn Natchez during the Civil War. The folks there had seen and heard all about the destruction the Bluebellies had done in the other towns and cities and decided that they wanted to save their homes and the town buildings. Therefore, they sent word to Grant's forces that they would not resist the Yanks take over in return for not having their homes burned. That is why Natchez had and still has the most original antebellum mansions still standing anywhere in the country.

The Yanks took over the whole area and had outposts all over what's now Adams county and Wilkerson County. Adams is where Natchez is located and Wilkerson is where Ft. Adams is. Fort Adams predates the War of Northern Aggression.

Before Mississippi became a state, that whole area had French and Spanish settlers and businesses. The area around Natchez had the most millionaires per ca pita than anywhere else in the US. There were outlaws of all types operating in that area for decades.

Visit the local museums and the town libraries. The library should have a very good historical section. Also, go the the county courthouse and do some research. DON'T USE THE TERMS TREASURE AND RELIC HUNTING. Use the cover of genealogical research since your in-laws live in the area and have a good sized land holding.

When you explore the creeks and rivers in the area, keep an eye out for prehistoric animal bones and teeth as well as other fossils. You just MIGHT be surprised at some of your finds. :)

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Benbuck, If you are still interested in hunting this site let us know. There is a group of us in this area that enjoy metal detecting and privy digging. As for knowledge of this area, Contact Jeff Bryant. You will find him at the Peddler located on Hwy 61 North in Natchez. Best source of local history and treasure hunting. He is also a metal detector dealer.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

I have not, probably too fat to climb out now. Not really. Some in our little group have hunted the DPB, but it was years ago. One lucky guy using a Garrett detector, did find a cache of gold bars there. He gave one of the gold bars to Charles Garrett. Dead of Winter is the best time to hunt the Bowl. If you want to go, let us know and we will put together a small group to go in(less than ten people). You do not want to go in alone, not a wise thing to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread