asking for help

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Xp deus with HF and X35 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, until now I had a metal detector, but now I want to start prospecting gold, but the truth is that there are so many equipment that I am a little lost, I put my idea and if you can recommend me or tell me if I am correct. Thank you

I had first thought about taking material with this:

1524568367756.keeneminimaxbateasdeoro.jpg.png

Then I'm more lost, I don't know if the right combination is:
a. spiral concentrator + blue bowl + martin miller
b. gold cube + blue bowl + martin miller
c. anyother???

Finally, accessories such as the following:
- magnet black sands
- gold pan classifier kit
- any like this: https://www.amazon.com/Prospecting-...s=Gold+Rush+Classifier&qid=1570351697&sr=8-16
- what more i need???

thanks for your help, and sorry my english

Upvote 0

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello, until now I had a metal detector, but now I want to start prospecting gold, but the truth is that there are so many equipment that I am a little lost, I put my idea and if you can recommend me or tell me if I am correct. Thank you

I had first thought about taking material with this:

1524568367756.keeneminimaxbateasdeoro.jpg.png

Then I'm more lost, I don't know if the right combination is:
a. spiral concentrator + blue bowl + martin miller
b. gold cube + blue bowl + martin miller
c. anyother???

Finally, accessories such as the following:
- magnet black sands
- gold pan classifier kit
- any like this: https://www.amazon.com/Prospecting-...s=Gold+Rush+Classifier&qid=1570351697&sr=8-16
- what more i need???

thanks for your help, and sorry my english
Each piece of equipment is best suited for a particular type of recovery, you need to have an idea of the type of gold and the overburden you will be dealing with in order to select which equipment / recovery method will work best.

OP
OP
P

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each piece of equipment is best suited for a particular type of recovery, you need to have an idea of the type of gold and the overburden you will be dealing with in order to select which equipment / recovery method will work best.

thanks for answering
I know that each equipment is valid for a purpose. In my case it would be gold dust and small particles. very rarely gold nuggets

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't start off with that expensive setup in the OP.Start off simple,see IF you like it first,then go from there... A Gold pan,classifiers,sluice will get you going.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally GREAT suggestion! Goldpan will find small and large Gold and if you hit a pocket then invest in heavier stuff.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2011_0413Mttohuntdeer4th0005.JPG I like the black pans they make the Smallest pieces POP

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with RTR here, got pans & sluices. lot's of money expended...

But there ain't no yellow dirt up my holler...

OP
OP
P

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1759503 I like the black pans they make the Smallest pieces POP

thank you so much.
but in case that i want to invest (or if i finally like it) which is the best combination in my particular purpose?
thanks!!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you so much.
but in case that i want to invest (or if i finally like it) which is the best combination in my particular purpose?
thanks!!

First what IS your "particular purpose" (you didn't mention it in the OP) ? Meaning, are you prospecting in streams ? Or bringing the material home to be run on a sluice ? Do you plan on a long walk or a short walk to your prospecting site ? Do you have a ATV for hauling big/bulky equipment ?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting by its very nature presents Many variables .Its like,you don't go deer hunting with a BB gun.And you don't go bird hunting with a 50 Cal.
Expensive equipment doesn't guarantee you better success. Most important , you have got to FIND where the gold is hiding. A simple gold pan(to snipe different areas) is MOST important ! Second would be classifiers (so all the material is the same size). A shovel. And a sluice.I like Angus MacKirk but there's dozens of companies that make sluices and dozens of designs.......Pan,classifiers,shovel,sluice....... is all you need for now.....Once,and IF you find gold(and a decent amount) THEN you can go big on more expensive Equip. Good luck ! Send us Pix.when you hit it Big :)!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.JPG Once I find an good spot, I'll classify the material(on the spot,less weight to carry) bring it home(in 5 gal. buckets) & run it on a recirculating sluice system . This way your not rushed for time.

OP
OP
P

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1759634 Once I find an good spot, I'll classify the material(on the spot,less weight to carry) bring it home(in 5 gal. buckets) & run it on a recirculating sluice system . This way your not rushed for time.

This same!
The rivers in my area contain gold, but in dust and small particles.
My idea was to go to the river with the mini max and classify material to take home and then at home already calm:
- spiral + blue bowl + miller
- gold cube + miller
- Do you recommend another one?

By the way, what size classifiers do you recommend? My idea was to buy a kit.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
008.JPG these work(sold as a set) unless you want to go w/bigger ones (size mesh is marked on each one) and size material they produce.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
014.JPG And later (when you find gold) go w/a Miller table.Either buy one or build one.I love how good they work ALL the way down to super fine gold :) 017.JPG 005.JPG This(highly magnified shot) is minus 100 mesh gold( maybe 200 specs) the table caught,its so small its floating on water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1759668 these work(sold as a set) unless you want to go w/bigger ones (size mesh is marked on each one) and size material they produce.
thanks, its perfect.
do you mean, after mini max (or sluice), true?

View attachment 1759669 And later (when you find gold) go w/a Miller table.Either buy one or build one.I love how good they work ALL the way down to super fine gold :) View attachment 1759670 View attachment 1759674 This(highly magnified shot) is minus 100 mesh gold( maybe 200 specs) the table caught,its so small its floating on water.
it´s amazing, but i cannt to do something like this. i will buy one... hehe
then, sumarizing:
1º mini max (or sluice), go home, clasified, and finally martin miller or between clasified and martin miller, spiral/blue bowl/gold cube?

I speak of minimax and not only about sluices, because at certain times of the year, the river does not carry water, but if there is storage in small wells, where it could pump the water.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need all that stuff starting out. As previously stated a pan is a good way to go, it is needed to prospect locations for mining, should conditions prove favorable you can get more serious with a sluice. You only really approach needing any of those doodads when you have so much quantity of concentrate to work down that panning becomes too slow or labor intensive. I use my blue bowl very rarely, it gets used in the dead of winter when I am bored and want to milk every lost drop of gold from that sand. I feel a miller table to be similar in that it is something to fiddle with have cabin fever fun with. When I run my dredge or my big highbanker I can accumulate a decent pile of concentrates which I usually classify, clean up sluice, spiral pan then finish pan. In my small highbanker or my stream sluices I just pan it down.

OP
OP
P

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for answering. I have not been able to connect before. I consider everything you say. thank you very much again

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recovrering fine gold is tough, a lot of it will float right thru in muddy water, if you are sluicing. A very good mat is a must you will notice on larger recovery systems they have a undercurrent at the head of the sluice and too. that is the function of jigs built into the system.. It is interesting to look at these things, with a small hand sluice the best you can do is the mat, classify the material down to about 3/8s of an inch and feed slowly....Classification is very important...

When i started out years ago lol all i had was a bucket, two steel pans, one had holes drilled in it, a small shovel, spoons, a good pry bar and a lot of learning to do. Bedrock is where the gold is waiting....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread