Asking permission.....advice....and your input.

W

whites6000inPa

I know that some of us are reluctant to ask total strangers to detect on their property. I wanted to pass along some practical tips that work for me.

Basically, I just introduce myself and say "I have one of those metal detector things and was wondering if I could look around in your yard for things that might have been lost over the years".

It sounds uneducated....certainly I can speak better than that.....but in this area that approach seems to work. I try and stay away from phrases like "treasure hunting"..."silver coins"....and do not relay the feeling that I have been pretty sucessful at doing this. The less they know....the better. People seem more apt to let beginners have a stab at it, than somebody who they think will actually suceed in finding anything.

Make eye contact...and above all...be respectful and friendly......and you'll find you're successful in gaining access more times than not....unless you just happen to live where people are suspicious, greedy, and grouchy. I am thankful that I don't live in such an area. The people in my area have been very accomodating.

How do you ask folks?.....

Wyatt

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Thanks for the input. I've often wondered what I'd do if I weren't such a chicken.
I'm not sure if it's just being new to MDing or what. I feel like a criminal sometimes the way "Joe Public" looks at me when I'm detecting.
Even in my own yard..... :-\

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Eventually that feeling will subside, but you have to confront it...step up and just ask. I look at my box with a couple hundred silver coins in it....and I don't really give a rat's patoot what John Q Public thinks of me. ;D

I haven't gotten much negativity from folks though. Most around these parts are interested and friendly.

Wyatt

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Wetgreenie said:
Thanks for the input. I've often wondered what I'd do if I weren't such a chicken.
I'm not sure if it's just being new to MDing or what.? I feel like a criminal sometimes the way "Joe Public" looks at me when I'm detecting.
Even in my own yard..... :-\

Heh... I just keep about what I am doing unless someone walk's by close to me then I smile. If they say something I stop and take off my headphones. Other that that I figure I owe them no explaination and am old enough to not care if I look like a nerd.
I took my grand-daughter to the biggest park in town a couple of day's ago. We stopped at the playground and she went to play with the other kids there, there were, of course, parents there too. I got out my detector, put my headphones on and began searching the area near the playground so I could keep and eye on her. If anyone gave a care about what I was doing, they certainly didn't have the nerve to say anything about it and if they had I would have told them I have permission and gone about my business but they aren't going to say anything...
You know how hard it is to ask for permission? If you hunt a place as if you own it...no one is going to have the nerve to say anything to you and if they do just let them know it's ok for you to be there...remember though, if you act as if you own the place then people will sense it and leave you alone. I don't mean to be rude or arrogant but just act like you would if you were walking into a restuarant or a store...you have every right to be there and no reason to feel as if you are tresspassing in any way.

If all else fails, rest in the knowledge that you can always hit someone with your detector if they attack you...laff... J/K :P

Julien

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Very Little Fear of What Anyone Thinks OF ME, And Actually
When I tell Sombody new What I do, I Just Come out And Tell them With Pride.

When Requesting Permision : "I'm Into Metal Detecting" or "I have a Metal Detector"

When asked what I'm Doing, or What I do I say : "I'm a Treasure Hunter".

altho on the Former, When asking Permission, I'm Thinking Positive, and Expecting a "YES, Go Ahead", I don't worry about hearing a "NO".

On the Latter, 50% Get Intrested when I say that & 50% look at me like, I'm B.S.ing Them.
Which either Way, Dosn't cause me to Shrivel up in a Ball in the Corner, SO, Life go's on I guess ;D

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
OK, different perspective here on this. I am not an MD'er (yet). Just received my new Mini-Excalibur in the mail today and it's sitting in the corner charging. Am looking forward to MD'ing underwater this weekend here in Egypt (where MD'ing without archealogical permits is not permitted by-the-way).

Used to be, I'd look at MD'ers on the beaches as (no offense meant here), "Geeks" and "People-who-need-to-getta-life". Have learned over time that you guys and gals find some really neat stuff! And so, I'm finally going to try and join the ranks and try and find my own neat stuff. And the next time I run into someone on the beach in the States when I finally return, I won't look at MD'ers in the same light. I will ask "any good finds today?" Have turned MD'ers away from my property in the past. Will do it again. I want the chance to play in my own playground first! ;-) (i.e. clear the millions of pull tabs from my beer cans, find that lost watch, and where the heck did Gramps bury those twenty or thirty $20 gold pieces?). After that I will accept all comers. Welcome one and all. Who cares what we look like!

T

tallpaul

clap clap,, well said, welcome aboard, great to hear what you had to say, i personally dont think we look that bad, with a pair of earphones on and swinging a detector,, where i live people just find it intriguing, and ask whats it all about, i tell em, what iam doing and there very interested, although i understand in some places people see it as being wierd,, but hey we are all hunters of good stuff, and we enjoy what we do,, lets keep on finding and goodluck,.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
who cares what people think. the vast majority of people dont care anyway and the ones who do are usually curious and the rest are idiots.people can think im a nerd. if they really want to press the issue they might just find that this "nerd" can stomp a hole in thier a$* !!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I need to start asking more. I have done so in the past with good results just not big on knocking on doors. I don't care what people think. Most are nice and really wish they could do something like treasure hunting. People are usually afraid of me. I'm not your typical treasure hunter. I'm younge tough and don't care when in the field. I'll tell you to go F**** your self if you get on my nerves. Have done so in the past already.

In the city of Pittsburgh and the neighborhoods I hunt you have to be street smart and tough. It's very rare that someone bother's you. It's not the crack heads you have to worry about it's the groups of younge kids who think there little tough asses.

In the end god keeps me safe and everything has been pretty smooth through my treasure hunting life.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions