Asking Permission

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dated several women who have accepted my hobbies, and several who haven't. I was just wondering, how many here must ask permission from a significant other to go out detecting? Some people's wives or girlfriends probably force them to go out detecting, some may not care and some have a better detector and find better stuff than their hubbies! I didn't include the ladies, because let's be honest we really know who wears the pants around here. I have learned to just nod my head and say yes babydoll you are absolutely right! And you look pretty today! She saw right through me, the only thing she doesn't expect me to dust off around here is the detector, looks like I'm grounded again! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No permission needed here, wife just says find me a nice diamond ring when I tell her I'm going beach detecting...

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ole lady once apon a time that asked me if it came to it would i choose her or my car .....well the corvette is still in the garage and im single .....i never asked for permission to do anything and im not going to start anytime soon

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly simple here we both love detecting.We go together no permission needed.The same with prospecting we go together.

OP
OP
Sluice Willis

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dated some bossy women, it never lasted long. I have been with a few that liked detecting but cared less about prospecting. This one just laughs at me and tells me to bring home some treasure, sure hopes she appreciates pull tabs as much as I do! :laughing7: With all the negativity in the other "permission" threads I figured it was time to lighten the mood and interject a little humor. Plus I knew it would bother my "shadow" that I figured out how to post a permission thread and not get into trouble like he does. :laughing7:

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife does not like prospecting as much as detecting.However she will jump in shovel,classify,sluice,pan or whatever is needed....until her pockets are so full of pretty rocks she cant move anymore.Then she justs wants to sit and browse thru her collected rocks.

Great balance though without her I would likely starve to death in a field or beside a creek somewhere.I get a little obsessive at times.

OP
OP
Sluice Willis

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife does not like prospecting as much as detecting.However she will jump in shovel,classify,sluice,pan or whatever is needed....until her pockets are so full of pretty rocks she cant move anymore.Then she justs wants to sit and browse thru her collected rocks.

Great balance though without her I would likely starve to death in a field or beside a creek somewhere.I get a little obsessive at times.

I did date one that liked the garnets, lol go figure right like what's wrong with the gold! :laughing7: Oh well whatever keeps em happy is my motto.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife supports my hobby 100% She's the best! Heck she bought me my detector for my birthday! yup she's a keeper all right. 18 years strong married.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Me and my wife detect together :D as for permissions, she sure is good at getting permissions to detect private property. If I knock on the door, people often are like arrrgghh its Bigfoot and run screaming away heh. Different type of permissions.

BC

Rezonate

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
New England
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My wife keeps saying "yes" to my various plans and schemes, but I typically ask. Never good to surprise a woman. Probably goes for men too. Saw a post by a guy (Humans of New York) saying he showed up in NYC to surprise his girlfriend on Valentine's Day. He discovered she was out of town skiing for the weekend. Too bad, so sad man!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Man a lot of you guys are lucky. Don't have to ask her permission, connive, etc.... Wish I had it that way. But in my house, it works sort of like this: I can certainly go out without asking or telling her ahead of time (to avoid the "what other things-to-do have higher priority" discussion). But .... then when I get home after just helping myself without her say-so, I can get the 3rd degree for time wasted , blah blah. I could try to head-that-off ahead of time, by explaining, working out compromises, permission, etc... But experience shows me that I'll usually end up being on the loosing side of that conversation. So I've learned to "just go". Hmmm, why does than mantra sound familiar ? haha

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife supports my hobby 100% She's the best! Heck she bought me my detector for my birthday! yup she's a keeper all right. 18 years strong married.

Same here...My Wife bought Both detectors I own, plus the 3 pinpointers Ive went thru...She does think im a little obsessed with Detecting and Coins...

But when I remind her WHO bought me all this...she just says " I figured you would be over it by now"

NOT EVEN CLOSE HUNNY!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After giving my wife a handful of diamond rings the only flack I get is disappointment that I didn't find another diamond ring for here...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't worry about this because I am not married anymore. I have a female friend who is excited about detecting and likes to go, but she doesn't have a lot of experience and gets frustrated a little I think. As for getting permission a wife of a friend of mine even went as far as to get permission for him on a few properties and Christmas morning he had a big Christmas note explaining this present from her. She even came out to one of our hunts and was excited to see what he had found. She seems like a keeper.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
After giving my wife a handful of diamond rings the only flack I get is disappointment that I didn't find another diamond ring for here...

That worked for me too, for awhile. Found a key date coin that sold for a healthy amount of ebay. My wife was elated, as she's the one who does our budgets, etc... So for the next 6 months or so, whenever I'd come in, and I'd show her the day's take, she'd always say "how much is it worth?" . After awhile, without finding any more recent high-value items, that "ticket" has withered away. Doh!

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha, I don't ask permission but I do tell her when I go out and mostly she comes along.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, she bought me the detector for my birthday. It would really peeve her off if I didn't use it.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife really doesn't care one way or the other about metal detecting. I must say that I have had it pretty good for years as my son also loves detecting and usually goes with me. He has since he was 3, so it's kind of hard for mom to say no when we tell her in our excitement that we found a great new spot to detect, and we just have to go check it out. lol

Things might get a little "iffy" though next year when he graduates from high school and goes off to college.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread