Assateague Island along Or Ocean City Beach

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Welcome to the forum! I've never hunted either places, but have been there yrs ago. From what I've read in the forum, Ocean City is a good place to hunt in the summer (tourist season). I'm not sure, but I believe Assateugue Island is a State Park. If it is I would ask if metal detecting is permitted, and get permission.

I'm sure someone in the forum will no for sure that lives or frequently detects those areas!

HH 8) surfrat96

TOWcritter

Just got back from O.C. The crowds aren't there yet. And the sand monsters are already at work. Best time to detect in O.C. would be from 5:00 pm till dark. Thats when the sand monsters come out and take away all the days goodies. Assateague is a different story. You may have better luck down where the campers hang out. I haven't detected there yet but ask the ranger at the gate. Shouldn't be a problem. Maryland isn't like Va. yet and hopefully it never will be. Have fun and at Assateague get there before the black flies and mosquitos or you're going to be a hurting. Good Luck.

A

aquabob

Assateague Island is a definite NO NO,( MD, or VA................), I camp there (Maryland) several times a year, and there are signs posted.........NO METAL DETECTING

My buddies mother found a beautiful arrow head laying on the beach, and picked it. She took it to the rangers station to ask if it was "real". They proceeded to lecture her, and told her that she could be arrested for removing that from the beach, then they confiscated it from her!!!!!!!!!!!

In the visitors center, there is a picture from the beach during a hurricane, where the beach is erroded, and they show some timbers from a shipwreck...........would probably be a great place if you were allowed!!

Stick to Ocean City, the crowds will surely be there starting this weekend!!

aquabob

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Assateague is mostly a federal park and partly a state park. The state park area can be hunted at very specific times only and everyone knows about it. So at midnight on that particular weekend, there are 100 detectorists there. And it is a very small part of the beach. It is strictly forbidden to hunt on the federal park side with huge fines. From taking your vehicle, to just taking your detector. Although, I have seen park rangers doing it on their personal time which tends to make you a bit angry. I have been told by a local archeologist that he has tried several times to get permission. Their answer was that they would rather see everything rot there then let the detectorists on there. There is SO much open beach there, I know there must be tons of things there. Every once ina while you can see a ship buried in the surf after a storm and there are stories of buried treasure on the island. But, unless you have tons of money and don't care about fines, there's nothing you can do about it.
On the other hand, you can detect in Ocean City and on any given day, you will find several detectorists on the beach after everyone has left for the day. Especially around the inlet area. I have gone with my father a bunch of times. He has found over 100 rings on the beach and found enough change in a year and a half to buy another detector. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread