Assault and Batteries.

JHArizona

May 10, 2009
I have been using a Tracker IV Bounty hunter that uses 2 9volt Alkaline Batteries. Lately I have found myself abusing my bank account buying pack after pack of 9 volts at 8 dollars a whack. I am thinking about purchasing 2 rechargeable 9 volts to be used over and over again and over the long haul save some money. The situation is, rechargeable are not Alkaline. Does this make a difference? Is it OK to use the rechargeable in a Tracker IV? or will this be just more unnecessary abuse to my checking?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Cute title!
I get the message! :thumbsup:

My 2-cents . . .

I got a charger and rechargeable batteries about 2 years ago.
YES! You can save money in the long run.
BUT, the rechargeables are expensive too, and I found myself
spending a LOT of time firing them up over and over again. :icon_scratch:
After about 5 or 6 recharges, the things begin not holding the
charge as long, and eventually just seem to wear out.
There are some tricks to it, sometimes, like making sure it's
fully discharged every once in a while to then fully charge it.

Also, that form of battery does not have the same voltage.
Not sure about the 9Volt, but the 1.5 volt AA batteries,
you will notice are actually 1.2-volts!! :-\
So you start off at a deficit already. Not sure if this detracts
from the effectiveness of the detector, but I would think
it does.

Long story short . . . I finally just switched back to
buying regular batteries.
:P

I'd like to see what other folks think.

OP
OP
J

JHArizona

May 10, 2009
I appreciate the view. Gives me a little to consider, but also signifies they will work. I wasn't sure if it HAD to be Alkaline or not. I also would like to see what others think, as you mentioned, they are also expensive.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a Costco anywhere near you? Try their brand batteries, ("Kirtland"). The 2AA are very inexpensive, I get about 25 hours on them in my X-70. Don't know how much the 9 volt ones are though. But, I bet they aren't $8.

OP
OP
J

JHArizona

May 10, 2009
Great tip. but nope. No Cosco or anything of the sort. I have the Gas station in town and aside from that, Everything is a good 50 to 75 mile trip through the desert. Not worth it for batteries..... It is Duracell or nothing here..... I think I may try the Rechargeable and see how it goes...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever use e-bay? Here are 10 pak's new Duracell 9v batteries for $7.00 per 10 pak. They are in Texas. limited time.
Same day shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-Pack-Duracell-9-volt-9v-Batteries_W0QQitemZ140274924046QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20a9097a0e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Always helps to keep any spares refridgerated.

GG~

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Yep buy in bulk online I get duracells 9volts for a Mark IV At BJ's wholesale a ten pack costs around $15 but have bought them online and saved even more, I just don't use the BH that much anymore so I don't buy the huge packs which I think were like 30 at a time also look at ebay.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I would buy bulk online. I found Ray-O-Vacs and store brands to be as good as the big names in my Fisher CZs. Rechargeables are a bit of a pain, but are definitely more enviromentally responsible than disposables. I say this having almost always used the disposables, but in the CZ they lasted quite a long time.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good aftenoon JH: The advice on the rechargeables is correct, except to run them down comepletely, which is correct, means that if you are out in the field when it happens you need a stand by set, fully charged, so that means two sets of the 9 V rechargeables.

Where are you in Az ?? I am curious, since I am up to Tucson several times yearly, We may just share a tank of coffee and bs, err, discuss THng sometime.

Don Jose de La Mancha

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get all my batterys at the local 99cent's store.
2, 9volts for 99 cents or
4, doubble A for 99 cents
I use Panosonic or AC Delco batterys in my metal detectors. The expiration date is always at least 5 years away. They last just as long as the ones from the major brand stores.

jrsweger

Jan 23, 2009
42.22°N 76.19°W
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 Pro

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the rechargable batteries. I bought 2 sets. Make sure you use the batteries until they are dead then recharge them. A rechargable batttery must be competly drain of it juice before you recharge it. If you use say 12 hours then recharge it and you keep on doing this it is take the life of the battery away.If you check on tghe rechargable batteries some will say can be recharge 100X's. So you want ot use it as long as you can until it will not work anymore to your satifaction. Like I said I bought 2 sets so I use them for a good 25 hours. Then I put my other set in and charge other. So this way I always have agood set that is ready to be use. You can also check on ebay and buy rechargable at a decent price. Hope this helps....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread