assay question

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
Anyone have any assay experience? We have been doing a standard fire assay on our hard rock concentrates. When we have the lead that goes into the cuppel and is supposed to leave only your precious metals. We end up with a very dense heavy gray silver button. Out of a 30 gram assay we get 16-20 grams of this heavy metal. My question is what other metals will stay in a cuppel besides the precious metals gold,sliver, and platinum?

OP
OP
B

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
Picture

Attachments

• KIMG0118.JPG
    KIMG0118.JPG
    648 KB · Views: 188
OP
OP
B

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
pictures

More picture

Attachments

• KIMG0114.JPG
    KIMG0114.JPG
    890.6 KB · Views: 181
  • KIMG0112.JPG
    KIMG0112.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 161

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done a few fire assays. Looks like lead (a likely partial cupel...maybe too cold in furnace or not enuf oxygen), how soft is it?

If soft, lead. If harder is it brittle (tin) or tough/bends a little...could be lots of metals I suppose.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm pretty sure the following is correct.:dontknow: Correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understand it, the bead formed is usually an alloy of several different metals and the appearance represents the comparative proportion of how much of each there was in the charged material. The gold content may be less proportionately than say copper, silver, or some combination of them and other metals that was contained in the ore. A true assay of that bead will determine the various proportionality of each metal eg. 80% Cu, 10% Ag, 5% Au and 5% other elements or whatever the different proportions are. I use this just as an example to illustrate what can happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
Not lead we covered up a botton with lead and re did it it only lost 1/10 gram. Its a metal .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take it to your local college for identification. Scanning electron microscope spectrography or other lab techniques will answer you well.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do fire assays also , but have never came out with any thing like that . If you have any more from a nother assay , try nitric on it , in a ventilated area. If it eats up fairly quickly , tin I would say .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread