claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for about 6 years with my whites prism v, and I have become quite comfortable and adept at using the machine even in the wet sand. Recently, the coil went bad and I am considering getting a new machine. I would love some input into what the best machine would be for me. The following are features that are important to me; it must be light weight, must have pinpointing, medium price range, discrimination. I mostly do beach hunting. Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
If you do mostly beach, why not upgrade to a "beach" detector, like an Excalibur II, a Whites Beach Hunter ID or the Fisher CZ 21. All machines can be hip mounted. Three really great machines to choose from. My first choice out of these three would be the Excalibur. Why? Because it uses 17 different frequencies at one time. Basically the more frequencies a detector has the more targets it can pick up at one time also giving more depth to individual targets. It is Primarily, the best beach and water detector today. If you have used the whites Prizm for the last 6 yrs and your wanting something better for another 6 yrs,.. I would make my next upgrade one that would be a significant difference in comparison to the Prizm like one of these awesome beach detectors. Good luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Excalibur II with a straight carbon fiber shaft! It will feel so balanced and light and works great in all environments!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY ADICE TO PEOPLE LOOKING TO BUY A NEW MACHINE - SEE IF YOU CAN FIND GUYS (OR GALS) OUT THERE
THAT MIGHT HAVE EXTRA MACHINES THEY COULD HOOK UP WITH AND TRY - THERES NOTHING WORSE THAN
BUYING A MACHINE AND FINDING OUT YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY IT OPERATES OR SOUNDS AND THEN TAKE A BATH
RESLLING OR TRADING IT - THERE A FAIR AMOUNT OF L.I. TH'ERS OUT THERE - SEE IF YOU COULD DO A FEW HOOK UPS OR CONTACT THEM AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY USE IN YOUR AREA - GOOD LUCK

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY ADICE TO PEOPLE LOOKING TO BUY A NEW MACHINE - SEE IF YOU CAN FIND GUYS (OR GALS) OUT THERE THAT MIGHT HAVE EXTRA MACHINES THEY COULD HOOK UP WITH AND TRY - THERES NOTHING WORSE THAN BUYING A MACHINE AND FINDING OUT YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY IT OPERATES OR SOUNDS AND THEN TAKE A BATH RESLLING OR TRADING IT - THERE A FAIR AMOUNT OF L.I. TH'ERS OUT THERE - SEE IF YOU COULD DO A FEW HOOK UPS OR CONTACT THEM AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY USE IN YOUR AREA - GOOD LUCK

Sound advice. X2

You can consider joining a MDing club. A lot of fun and some great times. Members can let you try their machines so you can narrow down your choice.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't get int the water what you want is a VLF multi frequency detector. Now there are various minelab detectors that do it but they are all heavy, you could think of an old fisher CZ series detector since they can be hip mounted and the weight reduced to just the coil and shaft. Fisher CZ are very good in beach detecting.

OP
OP
C

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to try out a few machines from guys in the area and take my time in deciding. I am pretty small and I have problems with my hip/back, so weight is definitely an issue. I also use a small scoop, without the extended pole (which everyone thinks is crazy, but works for me). Good thing I have good knees!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
If you have back hip and problems I would definitely get a long handled scoop for less bending to retrieve targets. I would want to be able to do my hobby as long as I could if I had a poor back or hip, so I would have a scoop that made my life easier. Good luck with your new detector and look forward to hearing what machine you decided on.

OP
OP
C

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually,the long handled scoops bother my back more, probably because my arms are weaker and the bending does not bother me as long as I use my knees. Thanks for the input

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually,the long handled scoops bother my back more, probably because my arms are weaker and the bending does not bother me as long as I use my knees. Thanks for the input

Rather than bending over, you might want to drop knee (wear knee protectors) to dig with less strain on your back.
This is my favorite method.

Where, there a lot of shallow targets within a small area, prone out, and use the side lobes of the Garret Pro Pinpointer
to find and retrieve targets, without getting up till the area has been cleared. I have seen Chicago Ron doing this in later videos.

You can also, V out , spread your legs out (easier on the knees) to get to digging depth.
Have not tried myself, but have seen it used by one of Pat's associates in "Metal Detecting Hawaii".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread