At 10:00 I found my oldest coin....at 2:00 I found one older!

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
I was invited to hunt a mill site today that dates back to 1752 with two friends from a local club. Just the idea of hunting a site that old was exciting! As it turned out there was not a lot of excitement to be had....with the exception of one shallow signal that made it's way under my coil! Until today my oldest coin was an 1840 half dime that I found last month, that changed when this 1814 Large Cent came to light!
Large Cent.jpg

Here's a close up of the date, it appears to be a plain 4 variety. The coin did not clean up as well as I had hoped!
LC Date.jpg
Two of us decided to stop at an old farm on the way back towards home, my friend said he and one other guy had tried it once before without too much success but as I told him, any place new is always good for me! Other than two memorial pennies this was the only other find I had....but...it turned out to NOW be my oldest coin ever found. After some quick research I believe I have correctly ID'd this as a 1775 Farthing, luckily both the shield and the date remained visible on the coin.
1775 Farthing.jpg

The date is a little challenging to see in the photo but it was obvious coming out of the dirt that there was a date there. Here's a little "where's Waldo" for you guys.......can you see the date?
Farthing date.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

HH

Dave

Upvote 13

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! !, I'm so close to the 1700s but not yet (1805) congrats !!!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job Dave. I have not seen or heard anything from you in awhile.. Looks like you are on a roll..

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1777 is my guess! Great finds man, congrats.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pleasure hunting with you today. You are a good hunter. I enjoy watching and learning from you. We need to go back there and find more. Plus we need to bang on a few more doors in that neighborhood. That site was very challenging today. I never dug so many deep holes for so little. It was really fun seeing you and Terry out there swinging regardless of my meager finds. Welcome to the 1700's. You deserve it.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Finds! :icon_thumright: It's a shame that certain minerals in the soil erode the the surface while in the ground.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you did get it cleaned up some. Congrats on a good day for you. Hopefully Monday will get us something too. It was good getting out with you and goodmore.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Dave ! looks like your Years starting out productive :thumbsup:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. They didn't make British Farthings or halfpennies in 1777. Your piece actually looks more like a halfpence to me. The most common date of counterfeit British halfpence is 1775 and they are much more common than the authorized ones. That's what my guess is for what you have, a 1775 counterfeit British halfpence. It's hard to know for sure without having a size comparison to make sure it's not a farthing, but later date farthings are very rare and didn't seem to circulate in the US. Most farthings found here are from the George I period who ruled from 1714 - 1727. All the farthings I've seen that were found here date from that period with 1719, 1723 and 1724 seeming to be the popular years. There are some who might think your piece is a Machin's Mills piece, but on the Machin's pieces the lines inside the shield are not outlined like your piece. I've attached a pic of one of the 1775 counterfeit halfpences I found.
cfeit half pence reverse copper.jpg

Last edited:

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is very interesting.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DKinPA,

Now that is just being greedy...... ha ha. All kidding aside that is no doubt a day to remember. Congrats

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome great finds!

OP
OP
DKinPA

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks Guys!

Goodmore and Dirtangler is was fun to finally get to hunt with you guys again as well, I hope Monday night brings silver all around!

DoninBrewster......I see the similarities to the coin you posted, is the reverse the same on the half pence and the farthing? I can't get a decent picture of the reverse on mine but with the naked eye you can see the outline of the bust fairly well.

HH

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions