Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found targets down as far as 10" running all metal mode ... the larger coil will allow you to sweep larger areas but I believe you'll miss some smaller targets in trashy areas so I wouldn't recommend it for that

The 5x8 IMHO is the most versatile of the 2 and it works better in the trashy areas and it has greater separation and good depth for it's size

OP
OP
mtcooley

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
I have found targets down as far as 10" running all metal mode ... the larger coil will allow you to sweep larger areas but I believe you'll miss some smaller targets in trashy areas so I wouldn't recommend it for that

The 5x8 IMHO is the most versatile of the 2 and it works better in the trashy areas and it has greater separation and good depth for it's size

I have a clad quarter buried at 9" and the 5x8 hits it loud and clear in all metal and dis 1 and 2 on the at gold. That is pretty impressive to me. I would think the AT gold on civil war bullets would be killer. It hits harder and deeper on lower conductors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All metal mode will be the deepest but SO many things go into depth you cant give hard fact #'s. I can tell you in Oklahoma the Garrett AT Gold hits bullets very very well!

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the 8.5x11 for mine, almost exclusively use it rather than the 5x8 for dry land, adds a good amount of depth, it still hits on tiny gold earing backers and gold chains just as well and seperates excellent. The 8.5x11 seperates pretty darn good, good enough for my needs,, the 5x8 just does a bit better for those extra extra trashy spots.
For the water I have been using a NEL 12x13 for wider coverage and a little more depth yet.

OP
OP
mtcooley

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
I got a 8.5x11 coil for AT Gold Friday. How much deeper in depth is it than the 5x8? I want to test it but we have had rain all weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread