AT Gold Imput Needed

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
It seems all I hear is AT Pro this or AT Pro that. Not there is anything wrong with that but you just don't hear as much on the AT Gold.
So I've started doing a little research on the Gold for the first time and I'm very impressed at what I'm reading and seeing in video's.
Honestly I researched the AT Pro and that well, it seems ok but I'm turned on by other models more. Plus meeting up with 2 different hunters who both had leaking problems and one had the arm cuff snap off kinda turned me off the AT Pro.

But now I'm seriously thinking about getting a Gold next year. From what I see it's more of a fresh water machine while the Pro does better in salt water.
This video really impressed me.

I'm impressed with my Outlaw at disc'ing out iron in trashy area's and got a nice old 14K gold mans ring to prove it.
Yes I'm on a bit of a Tesoro kick but am always open to any make. Having fun and getting good results with my Outlaw. But I like to have more than just one machine to mix it up.

So anyone that has an AT Gold I'd love to hear some input. Also I was pretty much set on getting a Tiger Shark this Christmas, but now I'm thinking the AT Gold could do just as well in shallow fresh water and could also be more useful on land doing old places I have lined up.

Your thoughts people.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an AT Gold but do have the AT PRO. I am coming around to using the AT Pro more for land and very shallow water. I also rely heavily on the Tiger Shark for fresh water hunting and have dove with it to 140 feet many times with no leaks or any other trouble. I am on my 3rd. AT Pro and wouldn't trust it if I was wading waist deep. But Hey, you don't have to go out that deep. The Tiger Shark is designed for real water hunting and it is naturally heavier than the Gold. It also lacks a screen and pinpoint mode, but requires very little movement to get a response. What you really need is both of them. Maybe the AT Gold is more stable than the Pro.

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I don't have an AT Gold but do have the AT PRO. I am coming around to using the AT Pro more for land and very shallow water. I also rely heavily on the Tiger Shark for fresh water hunting and have dove with it to 140 feet many times with no leaks or any other trouble. I am on my 3rd. AT Pro and wouldn't trust it if I was wading waist deep. But Hey, you don't have to go out that deep. The Tiger Shark is designed for real water hunting and it is naturally heavier than the Gold. It also lacks a screen and pinpoint mode, but requires very little movement to get a response. What you really need is both of them. Maybe the AT Gold is more stable than the Pro.

I definitely want the water machine to be completely submersible. Right now I can only see myself in waist to chest high water.
I was planning on the Tiger Shark and it is still my main choice. But instead of getting a Tejon next spring I my chose the AT Gold. :icon_scratch:

My main thought all along is to have 2 land machines and a water machine. Since a good friend just got his divers cert. and wants me to as well, then the Tiger Shark would be a must.

okhntr

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Southwest Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATgold , Garrett pin pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie I've had the at gold for about three months, Before that I had an off brand that my husband got me for Christmas a few years ago. I'm really impressed with the at gold. It picks up a lot more targets then my other one. It takes a little getin use to. I've only put in about 40 hours with it but I get excited when I do get out and hunt knowing there is no telling what I'll find. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

okhntr

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Southwest Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATgold , Garrett pin pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie I've had the at gold for about three months. Before that I had an off brand that my husband got me for Christmas a few years ago. I'm really impressed with the at gold. It picks up a lot more targets and i really like the DD coil that came with it. It takes a little getin use to, but for me it's exciting every time I use it. The pro pointer is worth very penny! It's saves me a ton of time. Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread