AT Gold to a V3i

cjdeere

Aug 26, 2013
Hi everyone, I currently have an AT Gold that I'm going to give to my son and I'm going to buy a new detector for myself. I'm thinking about getting the White's V3i but I don't know if it would be a good choice for me because I'm used to the AT Gold. How do the two compare? I think the V3i would be a much better machine but... What do you all think? Also, is there any talk about something new coming out for 2017 that I should wait for? Thanks everyone for time and you feedback.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't compare much. The v3i can be made to act like any detector but it's strong suit is tuning it to your area and what you are looking for. I went from the AT Pro to the V3i and it took awhile to get used to it. I started out with the V as a back up while I figured it out. It can be frustrating but then my Pro was my back up to the V3i. Now it's V3i full time and the Pro is my full time water machine. Check on White's forum at all the help and articles they have on the V3i. Theres a lot of help on the forum because some times you need it with the V.

OP
OP
cjdeere

cjdeere

Aug 26, 2013
Thank you for the info! It's great to here from someone that has both, it helps me make my decision. I really think the V3i would be the perfect detector for me. It's kinda like anything else...I'm worried, as soon as I buy one, some (SUPER) detector will be unveiled. Thanks again!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about a super detector coming out but the learning curve is pretty high for that detector, you won't get the most out of it running the preset programs. To get the best depth/ performance you will need to custom tailor programs, I would go to the White's forum and look at magic's program which still might need some adjustment to suit your soil. He was a tester for the V3i and had one before they released them, I've detected with him a few times and he does know the V3i very well. HH

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the V3i a good fit for you? Or, are you a good fit for the V3i? With this particular unit I feel the latter question is the pertinent one.

I love my V3i for my purposes. It does many things very well v.s. one or two things extremely well. A very flexible platform, and that is the top feature, imo. The tones are vastly different from the AT series, so make sure you watch a video or two on tone ID.

I took my toys apart as a kid to see what made them work. At 8 I wanted to be a game programmer and was copying/modifying code on the daycare computers in early 80's. As an adult in my spare time I've learned to do my own computer repairs both hardware and software, and I learned to write html, css, php, java scripts, etc. so I could make my own websites. I like complicated graphic software like Photoshop, illustrator, etc. I've always loved a good brain puzzle. If you're a persistant, patient learner, you'll have no problems. If you are an obsessive challenge taker you'll do great. I feel these qualities are why I fit well with the V3i.

Everyone is different. I doubt any other machine will teach one as much about the nuts and bolts of detecting as the V3i will. I understand why one would not want to own a V3i, but I understand exactly why I will always keep mine. :thumb_up:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like all things in life take baby steps. Adjust one thing at a time or learn one setting at a time. It will all come together. I love the mixed mode stereo, the fact you can set each VDI to,any tone you want, the 3 frequency point point and all the analysis features. This baby can do it all. But once again there will be frustration, at which times go back to you AT. If you stick with it you'll love the V. Best help is from someone else n your area that has set up the V to your soil conditions. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread