at max acting all crazy

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well boys, what do I do. Garrett sent a call tag for UPS to pick mine up, and right before I put it back in the box, I tried it again thinking I'd take a video of how it acted, and for some reason it worked like new. I can't get it to go into that fit it was having. Now the question is, do I go ahead and send it in, or keep it till it throws a fit again? I can't help but think I may have problems in the future. It's getting to be my busy time of year farming and I won't get to use it again for awhile for it to go bad again. If I send it in, they'll say it's working just fine.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the same thing to Garrett, that way if it acts up again you have some recourse. Garrett knows their is an issue with the AT Max.

Carl

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Looks like Im having issues too...

From another Post:
(Well I finally got my AT Max, and it seemed ok at first, but now I have a few hours on it and it seems to be acting erratically as well.
-When Auto Ground Balancing, I can never get it to go completely silent no matter how long you hold the button, or what value it ends up setting itself at.
-Seems to be an awful lot of ping, pops, chirps and whatnot thats showing up as numbers 45-75 even if i have those notches all removed.
-Ive had several targets pinpointed to an area, it says its 2-3 inches deep, and i end up digging a hole quite a bit deeper and coming up empty.
I was very careful setting up the coil during setup, especially in regards to the connector, and wire wrap.
Ive tried Factory Reset several times, tied all the modes, and several custom setups and im starting to get a bit frustrated.
Next step is to call Garrett Tech Support, but I was wondering if anyone had gotten any resolution to the issues yall were seeing, especially the falsing.)

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to send mine off today and tried it again before I boxed it up, and it was going crazy again. I told them I would like a new replacement, but they said it doesn't work that way, they wanted to evaluate mine first. Here's a video of mine acting up. This what you guy's detectors are doing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is the same way my max acted when powered on. Garrett replaced it just on what I told them, but I had it for only a month. New one working great so far.

Carl

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Looks like Im having issues too...

From another Post:
(Well I finally got my AT Max, and it seemed ok at first, but now I have a few hours on it and it seems to be acting erratically as well.
-When Auto Ground Balancing, I can never get it to go completely silent no matter how long you hold the button, or what value it ends up setting itself at.
-Seems to be an awful lot of ping, pops, chirps and whatnot thats showing up as numbers 45-75 even if i have those notches all removed.
-Ive had several targets pinpointed to an area, it says its 2-3 inches deep, and i end up digging a hole quite a bit deeper and coming up empty.
I was very careful setting up the coil during setup, especially in regards to the connector, and wire wrap.
Ive tried Factory Reset several times, tied all the modes, and several custom setups and im starting to get a bit frustrated.
Next step is to call Garrett Tech Support, but I was wondering if anyone had gotten any resolution to the issues yall were seeing, especially the falsing.)

Garrett replaced my max with a new one.

Carl

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Well, I recently bought my Max via ebay and it's giving me the same issues all you guys are dealing with as well. I've made sure the coil was plugged in all the way, did a factory reset, lowered the sensitivity, and swapped coils thinking that might be the issue but have met with no success. The numbers are still bouncing all over the place at mach 9, the depth indicator is totally nuts and the damn thing still sounds like I just won $1mil at a slot machine in Vegas.

I don't want to return it to the seller as I think I got a good deal on it (and it came with a NEL coil). I'll play around with it some more but if I can't button this down soon, I'm going to call Garrett and see what help they can give me

Last edited:

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that, 6 or so have posted on this thread with the same exact issue, but Garrett absolutely refuses to admit that they have heard of this problem before?? Just think of how many people in this world did not post on this forum with this problem.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that, 6 or so have posted on this thread with the same exact issue, but Garrett absolutely refuses to admit that they have heard of this problem before?? Just think of how many people in this world did not post on this forum with this problem.

Just wondering, has anyone having the problems posted anything about the problems they are having on any of Garrett's Social Media Pages?
If so, Im betting that would get a quick response on the issue. Just curious.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked to Garrett Tech Support earlier and a New Coil is on its way. Im optimistic and hoping this solves my issue as well.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new coil did not help my max, not sure why Garrett is sending out new coils when that doesent seem to be the issue, hope it works for yours.

Carl

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mine has shipped out as "Repaired" Wished they'd make a notation of what they had to do.

1 1100200 REPAIR ^ 1 1
2 1100600 AT MAX ( PM ) & CALIBRATION 1 1
3 1100100 LABOR CHARGES ^ 1 1
4 1009500 SHIPPING AND HANDLING-DOMESTIC 1 1
5 9403200 BATT "AA" ALKALINE 4 4

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Installed my new coil yesterday and took it out for a spin trying my best to be optimistic.
It managed to dig a few targets, but on a whim I tried using custom mode, and discriminating out EVERYTHING except Silver from about 75 on.
The whole while I kept getting tones, as pops, pings, chirps on all kinda targets that I had discriminated out in both iron range and everything else between 44 and 75.
Is anyone else seeing this issue?
I asked Garrett Support point blank if i should be getting any tones on anything thats discriminated out and the reply was NO you should not get any tone on a discriminated target id.
This further supports my thinking that there is still something wrong with my AT Max Unit.
Guess Ill be calling support again, but I wanted to see if anyone had same issue at all.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay I'm glad someone made this thread and I'm not the only one having the issue.

When it first started I was wayyyy out in the woods and a enormous 1700s estate and mine started wigging out using the stock coil. Mine was jumping from 50 to 00 all over the place. I out some pocket change on the ground testing it and quarters were rining up 35 pennies 37 nickels 35. I had my 5x8 in my back pack and switched that over. Problem solved. Then the following week by cuff broke. The plastic hollow rod that the screw goes through broke off and the cuff separted from the shaft. So I said thats it I'm calling garrett.

I got a hold of a foreign sounding woman who was polite at first but then became pushy and told me before she does anything I need to take the phone and the detector outside and factory reset it and tell her the results. So I did that. She didnt hear it clear enough so I'm standing outside with my cell phone to the detector factory resetting it til she was satisfied.

Yes this worked for whatever reason and she was pleased with herself. Then she happily sent me a new cuff free of charge. Fast forward to last weekend I was detecting with the stock coil again because I was in some fields. As I got closer to the home where the road power lines where I got the normal emi.

I walked away but the emi persisted. I was a good 75 yards away now and my detector was acting the same way it did a couple weeks ago way out in the woods. I tried pocket change again and I could barely get them to pick up on the detector and they were ringing up strangely low with a lot of interference.

I swapped to my 5x8 for the remainder of the day but I'm not happy with this issue others seem to be having.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay I'm glad someone made this thread and I'm not the only one having the issue.

When it first started I was wayyyy out in the woods and a enormous 1700s estate and mine started wigging out using the stock coil. Mine was jumping from 50 to 00 all over the place. I out some pocket change on the ground testing it and quarters were rining up 35 pennies 37 nickels 35. I had my 5x8 in my back pack and switched that over. Problem solved. Then the following week by cuff broke. The plastic hollow rod that the screw goes through broke off and the cuff separted from the shaft. So I said thats it I'm calling garrett.

I got a hold of a foreign sounding woman who was polite at first but then became pushy and told me before she does anything I need to take the phone and the detector outside and factory reset it and tell her the results. So I did that. She didnt hear it clear enough so I'm standing outside with my cell phone to the detector factory resetting it til she was satisfied.

Yes this worked for whatever reason and she was pleased with herself. Then she happily sent me a new cuff free of charge. Fast forward to last weekend I was detecting with the stock coil again because I was in some fields. As I got closer to the home where the road power lines where I got the normal emi.

I walked away but the emi persisted. I was a good 75 yards away now and my detector was acting the same way it did a couple weeks ago way out in the woods. I tried pocket change again and I could barely get them to pick up on the detector and they were ringing up strangely low with a lot of interference.

I swapped to my 5x8 for the remainder of the day but I'm not happy with this issue others seem to be having.

Glad to hear it worked with the 5x8 coil, mine did not, I would be asking Garrett for a new 8x11 coil and see if it does the same, would be nice to know if its the coil or the unit itself.

Carl

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the members at the club I belong to is having the same problem with the AT Max going crazy, he said he spoke with Garrett at their annual hunt a few back was told it was the coil. He got a new coil and still has the same problem. I have both the Pro and the Max, not having any issues with the Max going crazy but hate the tones (or the lack of) on the Max especially in "All Metal Mode".

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the members at the club I belong to is having the same problem with the AT Max going crazy, he said he spoke with Garrett at their annual hunt a few back was told it was the coil. He got a new coil and still has the same problem. I have both the Pro and the Max, not having any issues with the Max going crazy but hate the tones (or the lack of) on the Max especially in "All Metal Mode".

Just kinda makes me upset that a company like Garrett would keep this coil excuse going when there is obviously a problem with the unit. Hal2k, my max seems its best in in custom mode with iron d on 33, but haven't experimented a lot yet, but so far I am happy with this max.

Carl

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know how many fake reports are out there. If the factory says there isn't a problem, I would assume they are telling it straight.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found with my AT Pro that the large coil is very sensitive which keads to coil overload here. Even though you disc out targets, they sometimes come as a broken signal. Really no fix for this, you have a hot machine. Now get out there and dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread